Notices

Engine Timing a Civic Without Timing Marks

Old 08-08-2003, 08:01 PM
onthekeyboard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by 1stGenCRXer
There is a cast web on the block right around the area where the timing belt cover 0 mark would be. It's monsoon weather here at the moment, but I can get you a picture tomorrow if necessary.

As for the timing marks on the pulley, I believe there are three tiny little ticks, with the center being 0. You just have to look real close.
On what part of the pulley are these three tiny ticks located at, the side of the pulley facing the engine, on the rim adjacent to the belt, or on the outboard side of the pulley facing the engine compartment wall? If you will send that picture of the location of the timing belt cover 0 mark, thanks in advance.
Old 08-08-2003, 09:48 PM
Gasoline Fumes
Automotive Enthusiast

Default .

Attached Images
File Type: png
1.png (74.2 KB, 82 views)
Old 08-10-2003, 12:25 AM
onthekeyboard

I reviewed my Haynes Service Manual for the 1987 Honda Civic Hatchback DX and referred to the VECI Label on the Honda itself and discovered that they both do not indicate the location of the pointer on the timing belt cover and the locations of the four notches on the crankshaft pulley, nor do they describe the colors and the degree value of every color of these notches. I am only speculating about this however these informations might be available in a Helm Service Manual for this car that I suspect Gasoline Fumes used in his entry in this thread (or was that Honda Motor's huge engine illustration that he entered in here? Tsk, tsk, I could read his entry even when I'm in our back yard. Makes you think if he really wants to help in here).

Onthekeyboard
Old 08-10-2003, 11:45 AM
FourthGenHatch
I'm RICK JAMES, bitch!

Gasoline Fumes when you post a picture that big it just comes out all chunky and crap.

But anyway here is what he posted but in a reasonable size...

Old 08-10-2003, 10:42 PM
Gasoline Fumes
Automotive Enthusiast

Sorry about the image size, I'm lazy.
The timing pointer is molded into the plastic belt cover. The color of the marks on the pulley doesn't really matter, the paint won't be there any more. There are four marks, three are close together and the fourth is alone. You want the timing on the center of the three marks. The two outer marks are +/- 2 degrees. You might need to use a your fingernail to feel the marks.
Old 08-10-2003, 10:48 PM
FourthGenHatch
I'm RICK JAMES, bitch!

Might it be not a bad idea to perhaps take off the crank pulley and notch the 3 marks back in with a dremel or something? Or is the balance of the pulley so exact that that would mess it up?
Old 08-11-2003, 03:12 AM
Gasoline Fumes
Automotive Enthusiast

I just clean them, put a drop of paint in the notch and wipe off any extra paint.
Old 08-11-2003, 09:12 PM
onthekeyboard

Originally posted by FourthGenHatch
Might it be not a bad idea to perhaps take off the crank pulley and notch the 3 marks back in with a dremel or something? Or is the balance of the pulley so exact that that would mess it up?
No, I do not believe that enlarging these three notches on the pulley will create rotational problems to it. In fact, that is what I intend to perform on my pulley however not at the present time but during the replacement of this engine's timing belt. In this way, I will not be performing the same work twice, that of removing the pulley for the notch enlargement and removing it again later for the timining belt replacement. Anyway, this Honda's old timing belt is due for replacement not a long time from now. I will only use a triangular file because I don't have a Dremel tool. If the file can't cut it, I might use a hacksaw with a fine-toothed blade for cutting steel.

Onthekeyboard
Old 08-11-2003, 09:16 PM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

Making the notches too deep can cause a mini saw-tooth edge that can wear on the v-belt.

The only thing I do is add a touch of paint in there. I don't put a timing light on my engine all that often, so it's not a huge deal.
Old 08-11-2003, 10:36 PM
FourthGenHatch
I'm RICK JAMES, bitch!

Originally posted by onthekeyboard

No, I do not believe that enlarging these three notches on the pulley will create rotational problems to it. In fact, that is what I intend to perform on my pulley however not at the present time but during the replacement of this engine's timing belt. In this way, I will not be performing the same work twice, that of removing the pulley for the notch enlargement and removing it again later for the timining belt replacement. Anyway, this Honda's old timing belt is due for replacement not a long time from now. I will only use a triangular file because I don't have a Dremel tool. If the file can't cut it, I might use a hacksaw with a fine-toothed blade for cutting steel.

Onthekeyboard
I'm not talking about enlarging them. I'm just saying instead of painted marks which will wear off just make tiny notches into the pulley no bigger than the painted marks so that you never have the problem of not being able to see the marks, since notches won't wear off like paint does.