Notices

Engine Timing a Civic Without Timing Marks

Old 08-07-2003, 09:07 PM
onthekeyboard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Timing a Civic Without Timing Marks

Hi everyone!

Yes, just like the title of this thread states, my Honda Civic has no timing marks. Therefore in this regard, what is the proper and practical way of timing the engine of a 1987 Honda Civic Hatchback DX with a 1500 c. c. carbureted engine having no timing marks on the engine and the pulley? I have a paranoid aftermarket service manual for this car that states timing instructions on this vehicle however I cannot use this on my Civic. The engine on this Civic is the original, not a reman nor a conversion. Also please advise how many degrees before top dead center (BTDC) must the pulley or the Number 1 Crank be, if applicable. Please advise.

Thanks,

Onthekeyboard
Old 08-07-2003, 09:21 PM
FourthGenHatch
I'm RICK JAMES, bitch!

How odd. Are you sure the engine isn't really dirty and you can't see the marks or something?

If it has no marks like you say I would probably take out the #1 spark plug and stick a dowell or something down into the cylinder, turn it until the dowell is as high as it can get I guess, that what you know its at Top Dead Center.
Old 08-07-2003, 09:25 PM
onthekeyboard

Yep, there is no dirt on that part of the engine and the pulley where the timing marks should be found. Any more advises, please?

Onthe keyboard
Old 08-07-2003, 11:22 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

I ran into this problem on my '87 about a week ago when I installed my new timing belt. If you take off the crank pully and hold it under a light really close, you can see a few tiny indentations where the white TDC mark and the red timing marks used to be. Just slap some fresh paint on there and follow the instructions in the book.

I used some red paint to make the TDC mark more visable. I'm not too concerned with timing my car, so I didn't redo the other marks... I just wanted the new belt on before the old one snapped.

Unfortunately, these tiny marks are virtually impossible to see with the pully still on the car, it took me a minute to find them when it was already off and in my hands.
Old 08-08-2003, 06:56 AM
91_Hulk_Si
M0der@t0r Assassin

Haynes repair manual says on older model civics that there are timimg marks on the other side of the pulley or a single hole on the outside. The dots should be made level with the blocks surface and that is top dead center or if one dot it should be at top.

And if you still insist that there are no marks take the bolt and washer that retains the sprocket and you should see a notch that allows the sprocket to only fit on one way (Woodruff key). That should give you an idea of where TDC (top dead center) is.

Old 08-08-2003, 10:58 AM
Kai
Rotorphile.

He's talking about the crank pully. They are not as clearly marked as the cam gear, so by the time they get this old they have already lost the paint that made them visible at all.
Old 08-08-2003, 11:37 AM
91_Hulk_Si
M0der@t0r Assassin

In that case...... cram a rag in the number one cylinder, and rotate the crank with a size 18 until the rag pops out.
Old 08-08-2003, 11:44 AM
onthekeyboard

Originally posted by Kai
I ran into this problem on my '87 about a week ago when I installed my new timing belt. If you take off the crank pully and hold it under a light really close, you can see a few tiny indentations where the white TDC mark and the red timing marks used to be. Just slap some fresh paint on there and follow the instructions in the book.

I used some red paint to make the TDC mark more visable. I'm not too concerned with timing my car, so I didn't redo the other marks... I just wanted the new belt on before the old one snapped.

Unfortunately, these tiny marks are virtually impossible to see with the pully still on the car, it took me a minute to find them when it was already off and in my hands.
Therefore Kai, how could you practically and conveniently perform timing jobs on this engine if the white and red pulley marks are impossible to detect when the pulley is secured to the crankshaft? And where is the reference on the engine for these white and red pulley marks?
Old 08-08-2003, 02:24 PM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

There is a cast web on the block right around the area where the timing belt cover 0 mark would be. It's monsoon weather here at the moment, but I can get you a picture tomorrow if necessary.

As for the timing marks on the pulley, I believe there are three tiny little ticks, with the center being 0. You just have to look real close.
Old 08-08-2003, 06:35 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Originally posted by onthekeyboard
Therefore Kai, how could you practically and conveniently perform timing jobs on this engine if the white and red pulley marks are impossible to detect when the pulley is secured to the crankshaft?
Now that I know where they (the notches) are, if I felt so inspired as to time my car I would just paint them again. It's not that hard.