Notices

dual exhaust look.

Old 07-26-2003, 08:12 PM
static

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dual exhaust look.

Is there any way to have a dual exhaust look without havin a dual exhaust. I want it to look somthing like this. http://www.extremedimensions.com/shopexd.asp?id=3515 I was gonna get a true dual exhaust but I heard that hondas dont produce enough backpressure to power it. I was thinking of goin to a muffler shop to have it done but I dont even know if it is possible to have dual mufflers on a single exhaust and I dont even no if it will hurt the cars perfomance. Thanks
PS:I did use the search button but none answered all the questions i have.
Old 07-26-2003, 08:39 PM
FourthGenHatch
I'm RICK JAMES, bitch!

The best way to do the dual exhaust "look" especially on 88-91 is have one tip coming out of each side of the muffler. That is how some Neons have it. Any backpressure you loose would be a lot less than a true dual exhaust system. But still this is not going to give you any performance gain.
Old 07-26-2003, 08:46 PM
static

Yea Ive seen a couple in town but I dont like the tip look. Im lookin four a double muffler canister look but i guess there is no way to do this unless someone else knows a way. I guess I iwill get the tanabe racing madallion exhaust. They have a sweet look and sound to them.
Old 07-27-2003, 07:31 AM
excitid

If the tips are the problem a good muffler shop should be able to cut them off and put what ever you want on the pipes. I had my canisters tip cut off and put my canister under the car in the stock muffler position and had then put the tip back on the exit pipe. I painted the whole thing black and its alot nicer sounding and looks like a stock dx with a larger tip.
Old 07-28-2003, 09:31 AM
Kai
Rotorphile.

The best way I can think to do it is to buy another muffler and use some wire or something to hold it in place on the opposite side of the functional can.

FYI: Backpressure is always a bad thing. Air velocity (or, high air velocity) is a good thing. The trick is getting the lowest backpressure with the highest velocity. Too big a pipe, and velocity is lost. Too small, backpressure is too high. True dual exhaust falls under the catagory of "too big."
Old 07-28-2003, 11:23 AM
prostang460

FourthGenHatch has the right idea. I have a 90 Si that had the dual exhaust look when I got it. They had used a muffler for a late model camaro or firebird. Single inlet, dual outlet. I would go with an aftermarket muffler for the late model Neon R/T.
Old 07-28-2003, 12:07 PM
91_Hulk_Si
M0der@t0r Assassin

This is your stock muffler.

This is Neon/Fire Bird muffler.

This is what you could have a muffler shop do. But it wouldn't be pretty chrome pipes.
Old 07-28-2003, 12:34 PM
static

Yo hulk, i like the y connecter idea. how much do you think it would cost.
Old 07-28-2003, 12:42 PM
91_Hulk_Si
M0der@t0r Assassin

If you find a good pipe shop...... with a pro bender....... no more than 100 to split the stock pipe and make connections to put on canister mufflers.
Old 07-28-2003, 04:15 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

This is what I was talking about.

It's the look of a dual system without the performance loss.