Notices
Track & Autocross Talk lap times and race lines.

Corner Balance a car?

Old 08-06-2003, 07:58 AM
D16Y8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corner Balance a car?

Any one know how much of a difference there is for corner balancing a car? I have Ground Control adjustable springs with Koni struts and just adjust them according to the ride height. I know that it's impossible to get a even weight but will this make a big difference?

Thanks,
Rob
Old 08-06-2003, 11:27 AM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Yes it will if you want that last ounce of cornering power. A car that is level by height is totally different than a car that is corner weighed.

I know when I first installed my coilovers I did the ride height thing and got an alignment. All collars were within 1mm of each other Pretty good. Then took it to a shop down the road last year to get it corner weighed and I had the thing totally off Took us about 2 hours to get it right, but now the car turns equally both directions AND I also purchased a camber kit so we evened that out too.

If you want that last ounce of performance and you have coilovers I suggest doing it.
Old 08-06-2003, 11:42 AM
D16Y8

Where should I start looking for places that offer corner balancing?

I remember before you didn't have the camber kits install, did you recently make this change? Was there any change from your previous settings with the new camber kits?

Thanks,
Rob
Old 08-06-2003, 12:15 PM
importsyn

That's something I have to do yet.I've been holding out,maybe next summer.It does make a difference but I'm not sure if that's more critical if you're a novice.
Old 08-06-2003, 06:50 PM
CivicSiRacer

Originally posted by D16Y8
Where should I start looking for places that offer corner balancing?

I remember before you didn't have the camber kits install, did you recently make this change? Was there any change from your previous settings with the new camber kits?

Thanks,
Rob
You have to ask around. Try your local autocross organization. They would prolly know a couple. If not try some race shops NOT RICE SHOPS!

I used to have 1.5 negative front camber and 2.2 rear. This year I went with 3.0 negative camber front and 1.8 rear. Much better cornering at the cost of braking and accelerating power.
Old 08-06-2003, 09:13 PM
sts2poc1

www.longacreracing.com has some scales for sale but they are expensive. just go to a divisional auto-x and there should be some there
Old 08-06-2003, 09:36 PM
CivicSiRacer

Originally posted by sts2poc1
www.longacreracing.com has some scales for sale but they are expensive. just go to a divisional auto-x and there should be some there
They will not let you corner weigh at a divisional autocross event. Only weigh your car.
Old 08-07-2003, 02:02 PM
00R101

Originally posted by CivicSiRacer
They will not let you corner weigh at a divisional autocross event. Only weigh your car.
Mike's right in a way. Corner weighting a car is a long tedious setup process. While you can almost always weigh your car at a big event and you will get the corner weights, there is not enough time to make adjustments and reweigh repeatedly. But using the scales at a big event will give you your corner weights and you can decide if you need to make big adjustemtns to get even crossweights (that's what we do when we corner weight a car. We try to get it so that the Left Front + Right Rear = Right Front + Left Rear )
Old 08-07-2003, 08:38 PM
sts2poc1

at a rmsolo there was this guy with a supra, no one was using the weights so he corner balanced his car, it was on the thing for my whole heat, and he was jacking up the car and making adjustments, so i think he was but no one cared to say anything