Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Blown Head Gasket or what???

Old 08-06-2003, 06:52 AM
ZiviCase10287
RacinMasonC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown Head Gasket or what???

Okay yesterday after work, i came home cuz my car was overheating, well turns out the heater hose was having a leak.. so i waiting till it cooled off and i pulled off the hose.. well POOF coolant shot everywhere and so it drained all the coolant from the block, i stuck the hose back on, waited a min to fire it up, it fired up good, drove it around.

as soon as i got out of my street it started to overheat again. so i got it home... my coolant was still at FULL in my resevoir. i started it again, white smoke was coming out, so i waited for it to cool down and as i was taking off the radiator cap it went SSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHH... then i turned it some more and poof more coolant shot out, i turned it shut right then. for about 1 hour i was scared to open it, but then i finally did cuz i was sick of it, well for 3-4 seconds when i turned it and slowly took it off, all i hear is SSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. then it stops. i turn the car on, fill the car up with water untill it overflows and i was done.

well today, (next morning) i started it up and it had a rough idle for about 2 seconds, and i'm STILL blowing out white smoke. but i drove it around, it doesn't overheat it feels fine.

no oil in the coolant either... oil looks fine also. what could this be? HELP!

the headgasket has about 800 miles on it
Old 08-06-2003, 06:46 PM
wehttam

It could also be that ur burning off the excess coolant that is still on ur engine. it should stop after it all evaporates. but maybe not. thats just what has happened when i have boiled over a few. my bad experiences.
Old 08-06-2003, 11:27 PM
ZiviCase10287
RacinMasonC

well i think i might know the prob, gotta fix it tomorrow or today its 1:24 here in the morning. but i did the mini-me swap and i was suppose to re-tighten the head bolts after 500 or so miles, well i thought that was just for the timing belt, so i think this i probably it

and by it getting so hot in the engine when it overheated a bit, the headgasket got lifted off the block and head and its making the coolant burn and get in the combustion chamber, i'm going to try to re-torque them down tomorrow to see whats up.
Old 08-07-2003, 02:53 PM
dreamspeed

could be many things when your car overheats, does the fan come on? maybe the thermostat is broken. Also did you put a 50/50 combo of water and radiator fluid? hope it works out