Notices
Do It Yourself This is where you will find step by step instructions so you can Do it Yourself!

replacing break pads help

Old 08-06-2003, 12:06 AM
NOSon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacing break pads help

I'm guessing this is a sign of break pads wearing out: rattering noise when step on brake??? how do i go upon changing the pads myself?? any recommended brands since this is the first time ill be resplacing my brake pads.
Old 08-06-2003, 07:48 AM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Got a repair manual? First it'll tell you how to look & see if your pads actually are worn out. If you're going to work on your car you NEED this book.
Old 08-06-2003, 08:00 AM
INFERNO1423

The front breaks are easy to do. All you have to do is remove the two bolts on top and bottom of the caliber. Lift the caliber off of rotor (becareful not to pull of the brake line from the caliber). Push out the pads, also I would remove the rotor and have them turned (pepboys does it for 10 bucks each rotor). Put rotors back on put in new pads in caliber. Have to open calibers up a little to fit over the rotors. Bolt calibers back in place, put wheels back on, pump your brakes a few times, take it out for a test drive.

Note: Make sure you put some brake lube on the pads, if you don't they will squeak and make a lot of dust all over you rims!
Old 08-06-2003, 07:19 PM
Technodigifreak
Hot-Modder

get a repair manual, and what the hell is a "rattering noise"?

if you mean grinding, then you need more than just pads, my suggestion---

take it to 2 different places that give free or cheap brake inspections, make sure that you talk to the guy that inspects your vehicle, and get a copy of the inspection sheet they fill out

if both places tell you something different, take it to a 3rd place and so on

do not start working on your brakes until your first know whats wrong with them

and as always the brakes are THE most important system on your vehicle, do not take working on them lightly
Old 08-07-2003, 12:43 AM
NOSon

i dont have a repair manual for the car. i took the car to a shop and have it check out, and apparently the pads are wearing out and the one on the driver side scrape the rotor disc.
Old 08-07-2003, 12:44 AM
NOSon

i dont see any pads on my rear...does it have brakes on them?
Old 08-07-2003, 09:14 AM
DvSrOmE

By rattling does your pedals and steering wheel shake? if so its most likely your rotors are warped. Not sure about civic but are they rear drums? If so i would advise having a shop do the rears cuz if you havent done them before they aint fun. good luck...
Old 08-07-2003, 06:04 PM
NOSon

Originally posted by INFERNO1423
The front breaks are easy to do. All you have to do is remove the two bolts on top and bottom of the caliber. Lift the caliber off of rotor (becareful not to pull of the brake line from the caliber). Push out the pads, also I would remove the rotor and have them turned (pepboys does it for 10 bucks each rotor). Put rotors back on put in new pads in caliber. Have to open calibers up a little to fit over the rotors. Bolt calibers back in place, put wheels back on, pump your brakes a few times, take it out for a test drive.

Note: Make sure you put some brake lube on the pads, if you don't they will squeak and make a lot of dust all over you rims!

im guessing the 2 big bolts from behind??? and they are really tough to unbolt.
Old 08-07-2003, 07:34 PM
flipped cracka
BOOM goes the dynamite!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by NOSon
i dont see any pads on my rear...does it have brakes on them?
your rears probably have drum brakes.
Old 08-08-2003, 09:30 AM
INFERNO1423

yeah they are big bolts, not to hard to take off, just use some liquid wrench or wd-40 to help you loosen the bolts.