Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Deshrouding valves, SOHC

Old 07-28-2003, 08:41 AM
AwwsChwA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deshrouding valves, SOHC

I've got the head off my D16A6, it's all shined up, surrfaced, valves have been re-seated, the whole shebang. But, I'd also like to possibly open up the valve faces a little bit. Is this something that requires valve removal to do? Will it help improve flow? There are some pretty big flanges sticking out over the valves faces, so I think opening that up will help a decent amount.

Any info is appreciated, I'm probably going to have the same shop that cleaned the head up do the work, since I have zero experience working with heads, let alone grinding.
Old 08-10-2003, 09:09 PM
sunshine
Torqueless Wonder

If you had your head rebuilt they should have cleaned up the valves a bit so that they seat better. I've have my head rebuilt twice already and both shops that I took it to did a 3 angle valve job to get the valves to sit a little better. So it may already be done. If you want to, since your head is off, is toss in some flat bottomed valves. Good for compression, probably lighter than stock (depending on the material), and it doesn't toss of cam timing like milling the head does (which you might wanna do a little too).
Old 08-10-2003, 10:20 PM
silverstreakin
TRD japan ownerages

i would definately just go with a p and p job. milling the head can be done. id be real careful with that one. you can make the valves tag the piston doing that. but upping the compression will also help power out.