Notices
Do It Yourself This is where you will find step by step instructions so you can Do it Yourself!

Installing A New Fuel Pump

Old 09-20-2003, 10:52 AM
niko
Im driving a f_cking egg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel pump stupid question.

I'm gonna install this new fuel pump. So do I have to drain my gass tank or what?
Old 09-21-2003, 06:21 AM
agileauto.com

nope. just make sure it's not really full so it won't splash around too much. 3/4 of a tank or less is what I would recommend.
Old 09-22-2003, 04:06 AM
twistdCivic

i believe you have to relieve the fuel pressure first. makes things a lil less messy.
Old 09-22-2003, 05:17 PM
niko
Im driving a f_cking egg

Aright, thanks guys
Old 07-01-2009, 06:41 AM
themonsteraria
Boats n hoes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't have to worry about the pressure in the line. Just loosen the nut on the fuel filter until a little gas comes out. Let it go for a minute, and then you're good to go!
Old 07-07-2009, 06:12 AM
daniel86

Fitting a new one should be easy enough todo.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:17 PM
mattliston
Living and Learning FTW

installing a fuel pump is veyr easy

if your current pump is working somewhat, drive around enough to drain to half a tank.

remove the rear seats. you will have to find a writeup on that as I didnt have rear seats that needed to be removed when I replaced my fuel pump with a walbro (have a del sol)

when those are gone, you are greeted with a metal plate, kinda egg shaped. 4 screwsx hold it down. be careful they are easy to strip out if your screw driver is a hair too small. that should come off easy with the gasket. set it aside.

the next part is seen through the holes that was just uncovered with the removal of the plate. you will see 6 nuts and 2 metal fuel lines. if you havent alreayd done so, pop open the gas door and undo teh cap. a hiss greets you and lets you know teh pressure has been relieved mostly.

remove both fuel lines. on mine, one was clamped and used a rubber hose, the return line. the other was a metal banjo setup, a bolt similar to the one on the fuel rail. remove the banjo/metal one first, incase there is still pressure in the system.

after both fuel lines are dealt with, undo the 6 nuts. I didnt see any special order type of deal, but I removed them in a star patter just in case.

get a firm grip, watch the edges, and pull the assembly out at a slight angle. be careful of the filter screen on the bottom if you dont have one to replace it. replace it if it looks anything other then white. mine was a nasty yellow, kinda like when you are dehydrated and you take a....... you know.

easy to go from there, jsut loosen both clamps carefully, and be careful when removing the filter. it attaches at the end and has one of those "one way" washers that dig into the plastic if it trys to back out. I used a very sharp metal pick with the very end of the tip bent. think screwdriver with a sharp point instead of the philips or standard end.

pump is easy to change out, then backtrack what you did and return your car to a running state. congrats, new pump installed

-Matt

EDIT some people liek to pour a small amount of gas in the pump to "prime" it. I feel this is not necessary. I have not done it in over 10 fuel pump replacements in a few different cars, and probably never will. BUT I do turn the key on and off (not the car) a few times to prime the fuel system so teh car wont start hard and stutter til the pressure is built up

Last edited by mattliston; 08-15-2009 at 06:18 PM. Reason: added info