Notices

Ram Air????

Old 07-24-2003, 11:43 AM
rogue13_13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ram Air????

Hello, i have only owned my 2000 GSR 4/dr for about 5 days now.
From driving it i know i want more low end power, but over all i am pleased.

For the moment The only modifications i am going to do are to increase the efficiency of the motor. I have bought an msd ignition setup from someone who had a vtec motor previously, i intend on installing headers, and my first modification will be the intake.

OK OK i have seen the multiple threads about short vs cold intake.... but my question is different.

Question1
Can i get the same or better air flow by keeping the stock airbox, installing a k/n filter, then do something like cut out the bottom of the airbox and form my own fiberglass "tunnel ram" that pulls air from a hole in the front bumper cover, or somewhere else perhaps. if neccisary i could also modify or enlarge the tunnel running from the box to the intake.

Question 2
what suggestions would you guys give as to the placement of an intakes "mouth" , the bumper seems logical, but i havn't looked to see if its feasable.
most car designers make the front end bottom side of the car inefficient for air movement so that the cold air is forced through the radiator.(for example most cars have air dams for this pupose) so that makes me wonder if the standard CAI are in the optimal spot. i am simply asking if anyone has encountered better or worse places for the mouth of their cold air intake to be placed for optimal airflow.

thanks in advance.
Old 07-24-2003, 11:56 AM
teg_fan
I like integra's

You don't want the intake right in the front of the bumper because it could easily suck in water. Where the cai goes is good because there are many places where cold air can get to it. I was going up a hill one time and it was pouring and a couple drops got into the intake I think becuase the engine sputtered a couple times like I've never heard it, after that I put duct tape over where the vents are beneath the intake.
Old 07-24-2003, 12:05 PM
rogue13_13

great, that seems logical and answers my placement question
thank you

now can anyone tell me if the fabricated stock airbox would be much less efficient than the standard CAI would be?
Old 07-25-2003, 10:10 AM
senseiturtle
euro trash

The inside of a standard CAI is very smooth, causing very little air turbulence from the filter to the throttle body.

Your idea would be good for a few HP, with everything mounted correctly, but not as much as a smooth straight pipe. Max. flow can't be achieved with the ribbed flex tubing (if your car has it)..

Here's a number of cost-effective things you can do.. 1- slap a K/N right on the end of the intake pipe, where the airbox is.... 2- get an ebay CAI or short ram (they actually work quite well) 3- use PVC piping to route incoming bumper air to blow on the filter (doesn't work as well, and hard to do)

Personally.. I'd go with one of the nicer ($70ish) ebay CAI's... I've never heard a bad review of them. You won't get as much out of it as, say, an Iceman or comptech, but its still a better sound and more air moving.
Old 07-25-2003, 02:23 PM
st0ckWhee1s

get the AEM V2...... awesome.......
Old 07-25-2003, 02:48 PM
Shingoblade-GSR
Hellsing Agency

Default Re: Ram Air????

Originally posted by rogue13_13

Question1
Can i get the same or better air flow by keeping the stock airbox, installing a k/n filter, then do something like cut out the bottom of the airbox and form my own fiberglass "tunnel ram" that pulls air from a hole in the front bumper cover, or somewhere else perhaps. if neccisary i could also modify or enlarge the tunnel running from the box to the intake.
Yes, this has been done before, and is pretty effective for the money invested.

https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/s...hlight=DIY+CAI

The Comptech icebox uses a similar idea where the air filter remains in the stock location (with a rather stock-looking airbox to boot). Avoiding hydrolock is fairly simple; remove the top of the airbox when it rains and voila, you have a short-ram.

Originally posted by rogue13_13

Question 2
what suggestions would you guys give as to the placement of an intakes "mouth" , the bumper seems logical, but i havn't looked to see if its feasable.
most car designers make the front end bottom side of the car inefficient for air movement so that the cold air is forced through the radiator.(for example most cars have air dams for this pupose) so that makes me wonder if the standard CAI are in the optimal spot. i am simply asking if anyone has encountered better or worse places for the mouth of their cold air intake to be placed for optimal airflow.
The mounting of the "mouth" doesn't really pertain to the "ram air" theory some people believe, but rather just allows the filter to have access to nice, cold air. The Icebox "mouth" is aimed right behind the right bumper turn signal; other CAI mount the filter in similar locations to pick up cool air from under the car. You most likely won't be able to "force" in more air than the car needs with such a low displacement motor; the CAI just gives the car access to cool air when it needs it.

Anyone have other opinions?

Shingo
Old 07-26-2003, 10:37 AM
ADRteg

comptech IceBox :thumbup: good power gains, nice looks :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 08-07-2003, 11:59 AM
95tegRS

I dont think they have a K&N drop in for the 94+ integra's. Our stock filters are funny paper cone fileters anyhow.

you would have to pull a airbox out of a G2 and play with it from there on.
Old 08-08-2003, 07:09 AM
mrmonk

Default I'd go with ice box

Shingoblade-GSR IS RIGHT...

Basically wut he is tryin to say is that a 1.8 engine does have the suckin power or need for the air that a "Ram Air" forces through as u accelerate. Cars like transams and mustangs ect... bigger motors need it.

If i were you i would just get an Comptech Icebox. I would definitly not get the V2 or any kinda cold air intakes do to the hydrolockin business. The Ice box is great becuase it gives the filter access to cold air with out it physically ever having to be near the turn signal also the the tubing is shorter meaning you dont have to sacrifice any high end power for the cold air EX. (AEM CAI). Matter a fact im orderin the ice box in a couple of days my self.