Notices
Track & Autocross Talk lap times and race lines.

who does your suspension tuning?

Old 07-22-2003, 08:53 AM
PHiZ
BOOST GOD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default who does your suspension tuning?

Is there any specialized equipment that you need to go to a shop to use, or do you guys do it all your selves.

I read the DIY article on corner-weighting, I'd imagine you need to use a machine for tire-balancing.

But what about alignment, toe, and camber. Can you measure toe and camber without machines???

Thanks,
-PHiZ
Old 07-22-2003, 12:08 PM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

To do proper corner weighing you should invest in the proper scales. Unfortunately they are expensive. Tire balancing I get done by my sponsor.

You can do a simple toe adjustment with two measuring tapes and the tape should be the same height off the ground driver's side and passenger's side. Camber you can buy a camber tooll at http://www.ioportracing.com
Old 07-22-2003, 12:49 PM
00R101

Default Re: who does your suspension tuning?

Originally posted by PHiZ
Is there any specialized equipment that you need to go to a shop to use, or do you guys do it all your selves.

I read the DIY article on corner-weighting, I'd imagine you need to use a machine for tire-balancing.

But what about alignment, toe, and camber. Can you measure toe and camber without machines???

Thanks,
-PHiZ
Really there is no reason you can't do everything except tire balancing yourself (although for auto-x there is no reason to balance tires). The issue is how much do you want to spend on equipment?

I get an alignment once per year. It costs me about $100. The equipment I would need would cost about $200. It would take me about 8 hours to do a good alignment (obviously a real mechanic with better equipment can do it in under an hour) So it's not worth it to me to do it myself.

Corner weighting you can also do yourself but only if you have coilovers or sleeves to adjust spring heights. The scales only cost about $200 (Ruggles) but the nice ones go for over $1000. So it really does not pay to do this yourself.

If you want a car corner weighted you will need to find a race shop. Regular mechanics won't have a clue or the equipment.
Old 07-22-2003, 05:07 PM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Default Re: Re: who does your suspension tuning?

Originally posted by 00R101
If you want a car corner weighted you will need to find a race shop. Regular mechanics won't have a clue or the equipment.
You should see the look on one guy's face when I asked if they corner weighed couple of years ago PRICELESS!
Old 07-22-2003, 05:31 PM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't cornerweight, although I'm trying to find a place in Denver that does it. I also don't bother with tire balancing.

Alignment i get at the alignment shop. Its nice to do this someplace other than a regular honda shop, where they realize that some people are willing to give up a little tire wear for better handling.

I used to adjust my front camber by dropping the front of the car (no camber kits) about an inch on race day, and although it helped my front grip, it caused a LOT of unnecessary damage to my tires. h: Still haven't bothered investing in a camber kit yet... h: h:
Old 07-23-2003, 07:12 AM
matt j
midwest corn killer

i dont have my car corner balanced (no coilovers) but with be takin to dave turner motorsports in el cajon to have it done once i get my sleeves.

Tire balance, no need right now im only doing autocross this season.

Alignment, i take to a shop that specializes in race alignments