Notices

Trans Problem (Legend 88)

Old 07-21-2003, 02:04 PM
pierreram

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans Problem (Legend 88)

my trans has been giving me problems latley its a 88 legend auto. when i do a complete stop and then try to go it does not pick up as it used to but when it changes to second gear it works fine then tell i make another complete stop. i dont know if my trans is going out or if i need to change the trans fluid. also i was told by somebody that i need to change the filter that is in the trans. he said that he had that problem and was told that it was going to go out on him but he just changed the filter and the fluid and it worked fine agian. i dont know thanks for ur help guys...
Old 08-19-2003, 10:07 PM

I don't think the 1988 Legend has a Transmission filter, you just drain it and refill it with some fresh stuff.
Old 08-22-2003, 07:47 PM
timothybeeler
acura tech

you should perform a transmission flush 9 qts, there is no filter. but usally a good flush and some serious downshifting to clean off the pistons does the trick.
Old 08-23-2003, 04:15 PM

How do you do a complete flush? I drained my 88 Legend and only about 3 quarts or so came out and nothing more. I put it in gear a few times while draining and waited like 20 min or so. Also, when the transmission fluid drops to nothing in the transmission and you put it in gear the car DOES NOT go into gear at all, as if you needed a new tranny replaced.
Old 08-23-2003, 10:13 PM
timothybeeler
acura tech

You need to drain the fuild and fill drive untill the car reachs normal temp and cycle through the gears. When you are in 5th doing about 55-65 move the shift lever to d4 and feel for the forced downshift, then go to 3rd and so on untill your in 1st shift back to d5 and reach about 65. come to a stop and put in rev. Then drain and repeat untill you have used 9-12 qts. If this has no effect after the 4th drain and refill most like the tranny is toast. Also only use honda 's atf z1 I beleave. Honda only sells one type. But that's the right fuild.
Old 09-17-2003, 03:59 AM

Thanks for the info Tim
Old 02-03-2004, 12:54 PM
Pimpin88,Legend

Hey everyone I have a 1988 Acura Legend LS I'm curious if I have a problem with my transmission or ball joints... my car vibrates, even vibrates more when i accelerate..!?!?! it's automatic.. when it's warmer out it's there is ledd vibration... very strange i have all my gears though and S3/S4 shift they work plus I just recently had my (!)(P) light just came on and won't go off only will go off when I put it in neutral or park... and my "brake lamp" light won't go off I replaced the brake lamp light bulb but the light is still on and the day after my battery died.... do I have big problems or are they something small!?!?! help please!?!?