Notices

Gas Tank

Old 07-21-2003, 07:38 AM
pnthr30

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas Tank

Does anyone know exactly where the gas tank itself is located in a 99 GS Sedan? I just want to make sure that I don't accidentially drill into it when grounding an amp. Thanks
Old 07-21-2003, 08:00 AM
Taiwanze7

Its underneath the back seats to underneath the spare tire.
Old 07-21-2003, 08:11 AM
90'RS

The best thing is to get under there and look that way there is no guessing about it.
Old 07-21-2003, 08:13 AM
pnthr30

Default Gas Tank

How far down is it? Do you think I can drill a hole carefully (near the back of the trunk and the rear seats? How easy is it to "accidentially" hit the tank? Is the tank hard to puncture?
Old 07-21-2003, 09:31 AM
Spec R

Default Re: Gas Tank

Originally posted by pnthr30
How far down is it? Do you think I can drill a hole carefully (near the back of the trunk and the rear seats? How easy is it to "accidentially" hit the tank? Is the tank hard to puncture?
Dont drill the sheet metal anywhere for a ground wire please!

the sheet metal is too thin to get a decent thread. If u have a sedan, theres a couple of good grounding spots that worked great for me. fold down your backseat, take off/pop off the side cushions. there should be a few 10mm bolts that are bolting the seat belt reinforcements to the frame. these bolts thread directly into the chassis, with lots of clamping force. just sand around the base of the bolt to expose the bare metal. i used one of the middle ones, they're easy to get to, you cant miss them.
Old 07-21-2003, 09:53 AM
pnthr30

Default Re: Re: Gas Tank

Originally posted by Spec R
Dont drill the sheet metal anywhere for a ground wire please!

the sheet metal is too thin to get a decent thread. If u have a sedan, theres a couple of good grounding spots that worked great for me. fold down your backseat, take off/pop off the side cushions. there should be a few 10mm bolts that are bolting the seat belt reinforcements to the frame. these bolts thread directly into the chassis, with lots of clamping force. just sand around the base of the bolt to expose the bare metal. i used one of the middle ones, they're easy to get to, you cant miss them.
Thanks a lot!
Old 07-21-2003, 10:27 AM
Spec R

Default Re: Re: Re: Gas Tank

Originally posted by pnthr30
Thanks a lot!
You're welcome :thumbup:

Just for some added info, i tapped a little hole and sanded into the wheel well area once to see if it would be a better ground, but it sounded a little less effective as a ground. It also popped out while i was driving (not enough thread). For some reason, my system still worked, although a lot more quiet. i guess the back seat is grounded some how. Stick to the bolts.