Notices

blown engines...

Old 07-19-2003, 08:44 PM
preylude99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blown engines...

hey, have any of you guys followed the threads on s2ki.com about the blown engines in the 00'/01' model s2000's that have been going on for like a year that has everyone paranoid? They do no have exact evidence, but they believe it has to do with the oil squirter bolts on the bottom end of the motor in the 00'/01's having two holes instead of four when they were redesigned on most of the 02'+.... I think they have had something like 20+ blown motors due to oil starvation mostly on cylinder+ 4 but they cannot trace it to being exactly this cause yet.... mine is a 01' with 23K miles and seems to run fine, do you think these are just isolated incidents or is it something to worry about? any insight would be appreciated......
Old 08-16-2003, 09:07 PM
hondatech
Honda tech/eprom hackr

I worked at Honda for four years after the first s2k's came out and never once did I r+r an engine at all. That car is everything japanese, not like the shitty hondas built in america. trust me i've flogged many a s2k on pdi test runs and never did one evr break.
Old 08-23-2003, 05:51 PM
razor

there were some cases of the 00/01 s2ks have #4 cylinder problems due to inadequete oil bolts. the new ones have the 4-hole oil bolts and they lubricate better.

try to get a 02/03 s2k if possible, they have most of the problems fixed.
Old 08-23-2003, 11:26 PM
hondatech
Honda tech/eprom hackr

Bullshit, show me a service bulletin, that's what I thought
Old 08-25-2003, 10:16 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by hondatech
I worked at Honda for four years after the first s2k's came out and never once did I r+r an engine at all. That car is everything japanese, not like the shitty hondas built in america. trust me i've flogged many a s2k on pdi test runs and never did one evr break.
My shitty Accord built in America and made for only Americans and Europeans has 125,00 miles on it and has required $200 in extra maintenance and is riding on all original suspension, drivetrain and exhaust components. I drive the piss out of it and did 138 MPH last week...get your head out of your ass
Old 08-25-2003, 10:22 PM
jfiedler
Junior Member w/Fries

i work at a dealer in mass...we had a 2001 s2k come in with a blown engine. the #4 cylinder had most of the aluminum head above it melt and flow right into the cylinder. the valves were all over the place, and the piston fused to the cylinder wall. it was fukked to all hell.

the guy beat the shit out of the car though, i know that...he came back a few months later with grinding 6th gear (of all gears, 6th!) and he regularly bought new tires cause his would get the outside tread torn to pieces.

even though is not a one time occurance, as i know it's come up before at other dealers too...it's definitely not common. don't panic or worry bout it. the s2k is still a great car and will go to its limits with no problem.
Old 08-27-2003, 07:37 PM
razor

we had a s2000 at our job with a blown engine due to oil starvation. the owner of the car never checked teh oil level and the obvious happened. anyone with a s2000 should make it regular practice to check the oil level...
Old 08-28-2003, 11:04 AM
hondatech
Honda tech/eprom hackr

(My shitty Accord built in America and made for only Americans and Europeans has 125,00 miles on it and has required $200 in extra maintenance and is riding on all original suspension, drivetrain and exhaust components. I drive the piss out of it and did 138 MPH last week...get your head out of your ass )

Wow, where did that come from? Sorry my comment wasn't meant to attack people with american built honda's. I own two of five that are made in North America and have no problems either. My point is in the late 80's early 90's when most common Honda's were starting to be built here they have a lot more problems then before and quality control went downhill, which in my opinion has gotten better but is not as good as it once was. My opinion by the way was not formed in my ass, it was formed over the years by working in the field as a technician working on many many warrenty repair orders. You're basing your opinion on YOUR car. Maybe it's your own head in an ass somewhere. oh, my main point of the thread is still that there is NO problems with the earlier s2k engines, and Honda has not done anything new to them for the newer models due to a problem with the early ones. There are no service bullutins, techline sayes no. I'm not saying ppl don't blow them up, but it's because of abuse not a problem internally.
Old 08-28-2003, 11:41 AM
munckee

Originally posted by hondatech
Bullshit, show me a service bulletin, that's what I thought
Actually, he's right. There was a service bulletin put out for euro s2000's to replace the 2-hole oil jet bolts with the newer, 4-hole ones. The bulletin, however, was never put out in the US. Honda claims that the oil jet bolt has nothing to do with #4 cylinder failures, but there is speculation that this is untrue. Just go over to s2ki and do a search for "oil jet bolt" and "catastrophic failure" for more info on both topics.

And don't jump all over someone when you're wrong.
Old 08-28-2003, 12:50 PM
hondatech
Honda tech/eprom hackr

I'm not wrong, there is no us service bulletins, if there was you would have a point. The thread didn't say anything about any problems that were in the uk. I live in the north american market and there are no bulletins, I checked with techline in torrance,ca. and NO there are no problems with the engines. I'm not wrong.