Notices
Do It Yourself This is where you will find step by step instructions so you can Do it Yourself!

Adding sparkle to your clearcoat?

Old 07-17-2003, 08:11 PM
AnthonyM16
Shave your wing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding sparkle to your clearcoat?

I'm sure some of you have seen this at car shows. I'm not talking about metalflake. I've seen some cars and trucks at shows that have this translucent sparkle that only comes out at you at certain angles. I can't seem to find anyone that can give me information on this. I think it might be called ice pearl but that's just a guess. I know some people use it to do "ghost flames." I've also seen some really kick ass paint jobs when it was used sparingly over the entire vehicle. I saw a really unique truck at All Truck Nationals that used it on the door handles and mirrors. Anyhow, can anyone tell me more about this stuff? How much does it cost? Where can I buy it? Is it hard to apply? ETC!

Thanks!
Old 07-21-2003, 05:32 PM
lkailburn
college kid

umm, a friend of mine did a "rainbow flake" that came out really sweet, if you pay attention to a single flake and walk by it, it changes a whole bunch of colors. but from 2 feet away, you can't see any changes.
Old 07-21-2003, 05:38 PM
AnthonyM16
Shave your wing

Originally posted by lkailburn
umm, a friend of mine did a "rainbow flake" that came out really sweet, if you pay attention to a single flake and walk by it, it changes a whole bunch of colors. but from 2 feet away, you can't see any changes.
Can you find out who makes the stuff?
Old 07-21-2003, 06:03 PM
lkailburn
college kid

yeah i will.
Old 07-22-2003, 11:20 AM
lkailburn
college kid

yo i'm still trying to get a hold of my buddy. i'll post the info when i get it ok man
Old 09-10-2003, 12:59 AM
93HybridCX
Beast from the East

The stuff you are talking about is called pearl. You can get it in just about every color you can thing of. You can pick it up at any automotive paint supply shop. I know of two companys that make it House of Kolor and Dupont. In order to put it on you have to reclear you car with this mixed in the clear so its best to have a paint shop do it.
Old 04-06-2004, 02:44 PM
rklawson
2000 Electric Blue Civic

Any Auotbody shop can do this. All paint companies make pearl. I paint cars everyday and i would say that 90% of cars today have a number of different color pearls in it right from factory.