Notices
Do It Yourself This is where you will find step by step instructions so you can Do it Yourself!

Repainting entire car, got some bumper ?'s

Old 07-17-2003, 08:01 PM
AnthonyM16
Shave your wing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repainting entire car, got some bumper ?'s

I have been working on restoring a 95 that was driven in PA all its life. The winters are horrible and the front end is solid paint chips. I've already stripped the paint off the hood. There was no hope for it. The front bumper is a bit different. The paint didn't chip per se; however, the plastic seems to be pitted and marked up. The mirrors are the same way.

I'd like to get a nice glass finish on the entire car and I'm wondering if there are any body filler products that can be safely used on plastic. Obviously I could sand the hell out of the bumper but that could take a lot of time (something I don't have a lot of)...

Any thoughts, suggestions on this?

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
7-15-03_status4.jpg (114.6 KB, 434 views)
Old 07-18-2003, 08:33 PM
Amirked

hey sorry i dont know the answer to your question but i do want to know waht you used to fix your rear wheel wells .. i, and i bet many other people, have rust in the same area - did you do that yourself or take it to a shop? thnx
Old 07-18-2003, 10:00 PM
AnthonyM16
Shave your wing

Originally posted by Amirked
hey sorry i dont know the answer to your question but i do want to know waht you used to fix your rear wheel wells .. i, and i bet many other people, have rust in the same area - did you do that yourself or take it to a shop? thnx
I've done most of the work myself so far. I wouldn't recommend attempting this on your own unless you have all the right tools and lots of experience or someone competent to help you. I picked up a decent (rust free) rear quarter panel from a junk yard for $150. I drilled out all the spot welds on both the panel on the car and the section from the junk yard using a special bit I bought at a body shop - it looks like a mini hole saw. The section from the junk yard popped apart pretty easy. Honda puts some of this nasty glue behind the panel and I think that shit holds moisture and causes that section of the car to rust from the inside out! I have rust on the same spot on the other side of the car but it wasn't nearly as bad. My neighbor used to own his own body shop so he has been helping me with the welding since I don't have a MIG welder. It was a real bitch to get cut everything to match.

Here's the section of quarter panel before I started:

Here's the panel removed from the hunk of unibody:

Finally got everything cut to fit:
Old 07-18-2003, 10:05 PM
AnthonyM16
Shave your wing

BTW, I have very little respect for guys that bolt on a wing or put on a body kit and think they're tough sh*t... :fawk:

Sorry, guess I just have a paint chip... ahh... chip on my shoulder!
Old 07-19-2003, 08:21 AM
LX4CYL
Cone Basher

damn, that some serious work! :thumbup:
Old 07-19-2003, 01:18 PM
Amirked

thnx for the pics - yeah looks a little over my head but i bet it'll turn out nice - i was thinking about going that route eventually but some body shop told me about some fiberglass replacement panels that they use this super adhesive to fill in . .says it'll never rust again but i dont know how strong that would be .. anyway nice job
Old 07-19-2003, 08:52 PM
AnthonyM16
Shave your wing

I've used that stuff before except I used it on metal replacement panels. The hold is damn strong but on really hot days I can see the seams on my truck. If you can get it welded, go that route. I agree that fiberglass probably wouldn't be that strong.
Old 07-20-2003, 06:27 AM
Matt86
vtec ownz j00

wow... you're doing a great job so far. Keep us posted
Old 08-11-2003, 07:05 AM
AnthonyM16
Shave your wing

UPDATE! :naughty:

Almost ready for paint! I need to seal all the body work and wet sand everything with 600!

Old 08-11-2003, 07:31 AM
LX4CYL
Cone Basher

Originally posted by AnthonyM16
UPDATE! :naughty:

Almost ready for paint! I need to seal all the body work and wet sand everything with 600!

looks nice!!! what do you plan on doing with this Accord?