Notices
Track & Autocross Talk lap times and race lines.

oversteer with civic?

Old 07-16-2003, 07:19 PM
A5295
Where am I?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oversteer with civic?

I have been driving my civic for a couple of months now, and i have noticed that the car tends to oversteer easier than any other FF cars that i have ever driven. I like it, though. It makes the car fun to drive, but a little hard to control at times. I actually did a drift with the car when autocrossing-without using the ebrake at all. It is fairly easy to control-most of the time, but i think i made it worse by adding a rear tower bar. The car has no other susp mods, other than a front tower bar from a 2000 si. It has the 70 spec 13's still, with no intent on changing them for any reason, other than to look pretty :naughty:

-To clarify, it only occurs when most underpowered cars oversteer-off throttle or during braking

What changes can i make that would allow the car to keep this oversteer quality?

I already have a set of neuspeed sport springs in the closet, and i am considering some oem sway bars, and some bilstein HD or Koni adj struts. I am planning on making this a competition-ready street car. I want it to still be driveable on the stree, but will allow me to go to track days and autocrosses without worry that it will perform to its fullest

One more thing: The car now has 256k on the odo. I am gonna buy a master bushing kit from energy suspension to help steady everything. would this hurt the o.s. issue??
Old 07-16-2003, 11:35 PM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your oversteer could be at least partially caused by bad bushings. When I bought my car @155k miles, it oversteered also... but was quite sloppy and detatched. A master bushing kit is a good idea and will dramatically improve your handling, but wont really help you keep that oversteer. Your springs will also be a bit understeer biased. those alone will probably kill the oversteer youre experiencing.
Old 07-16-2003, 11:44 PM
A5295
Where am I?

stock it may stay then...

I dunno, I just really like it.

-Mike
Old 07-16-2003, 11:46 PM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

you dont have to use those springs. if you get ground control c/o, you can choose your spring rates for any balance you like.
Old 07-17-2003, 02:43 PM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

You can do all your suspension mods and then just use mis-matched tires, some stickies up front, and some super mileage tires in the rear. :rick:
Old 07-17-2003, 03:21 PM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

true. Theres a lady that runs HSL in her 4th gen Si with Hoosier 215s up front and econocrap 185s in the rear.
Old 07-17-2003, 04:26 PM
Bumnah
So OG it hurts.

Originally posted by 1stGenCRXer
You can do all your suspension mods and then just use mis-matched tires, some stickies up front, and some super mileage tires in the rear. :rick:

I am currently using this method.

If you wanna get your rear end to slide around in turns it works very well.
-----
Old 07-18-2003, 08:36 PM
sts2poc1

yea after 7 races I usally do the same, but with azenis in the front and touring tires in back, fun times
Old 08-08-2003, 07:26 PM
importsyn

That's what alot of Japanese racers do in their "hill climbs" with their fwd cars.I sold my Neuspeed race springs because I couldn't get my car to oversteer at all.I went with coilovers,not that my other springs were bad but I've got more options now.I have suspension techniqes sway bars front and rear ,and I had to disconnect the front in order to get some oversteer action.I've got it where I want it now even though I've heard mixed opinions on diconnecting sway bars.Another thing is that I cranked up my rear shocks as high as they would go and left the fronts.You could also try playing with tire pressure,camber,etc.Your new bushings will definetely change the atttiude of your car.
Old 08-21-2003, 01:31 PM
mishima_beef

so are u guys saying a car with oversteer is better?
so in actual fact its better to run (for example) 2 azenis in the front and some shit in the rear than 4 azenis?!