Notices

Could it be water in the distributor?

Old 07-16-2003, 11:33 AM
jeems
i be slow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Could it be water in the distributor?

I cleaned my engine on Sunday by spraying some degreaser all over under the hood and then hosing it all off. That was right after I changed my oil (using a different oil filter than I usually do). My car drove fine that night but then the next day after I went and got gas (the same gas I always get) my car started bogging down and sputtering in every gear. I thought it may have been water in the spark plugs reservoirs but I've driven it long enough now to where it would have dried up. Could it be in the distributor? The car drives fine just a little weaker. When idling it only starts bogging down when it goes below 1000 rpm. I know there are a few variables here but does anybody know what the deal is?
Old 07-16-2003, 01:28 PM
dubcac
I

Water shouldn't have gotten in the distributor.
Old 07-16-2003, 04:39 PM
MikeR

mine did it a while back, check the spark plug holes. i know you think it's dried but check to make sure. i did it and it drove fine for a week or so and believe it or not it started doing the same as above. pulled plug wires and sockets were 1/3 full. stuck a rag in and worked around plug with a screwdriver. then pulled plugs and cleaned them. and yea dist. should be fine, the cap has an oring to seal it
Old 07-16-2003, 04:44 PM
jfiedler
Junior Member w/Fries

it's probably in the tubes, just took some time to get up inside the rubber around the connection between spark plug head and plug wires.

like MikeR said...pull the wires, get a rag in there and try to dry it best you can BEFORE you pull the plugs out and clean them. you don't want any water gettin into the cylinders.
Old 07-16-2003, 09:31 PM
jeems
i be slow

i will do that next chance i have which won't be for a couple of days. is it bad for me to drive it like it is?
Old 07-17-2003, 04:29 AM
90'RS

Water and electrical components is never a good idea so I would have to say that's it's not a good idea to drive around like this. If there is still water in there it's because of no air circulation that, so if you don't have time to dry them just take them off and take them inside for the nigth and see if that helps.
Old 07-18-2003, 09:29 PM
jeems
i be slow

well i checked for water and there wasn't any in there that i could see or dry up with the rag. i then plugged the wires back in and turned the car on and it bogged down and died. now it won't start up.
people are now saying that it is probably the fuel filter. what do you guys think?
Old 07-18-2003, 11:15 PM
azn_redneck
Live Free Or Die

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm guessing no check engine light? My Accord did that, but it was the O2 sensor, in which case you would get the CEL. I suppose it could be the fuel filter. The one in my sister's GSR went well over 100,000 before we had to change it though. How many miles on the car?

Oh, BTW, did you check the other end of the spark plug wires at the rotor cap? I've seen corrosion occur in there, most likely due to water getting in. WD-40 will fix that.
Old 07-20-2003, 07:51 PM
jeems
i be slow

i had my dad take a look at it. i'm not getting any spark so its not the fuel filter. something electrical i guess. BUT.....my check engine light has come on periodically since i got the car a year ago. i took it to get it checked out and they told me that the computer said it was someting with the O2 sensor but it wasn't broken or anything. this was like 10 months ago though.

btw, the car has 70,000 miles on it.