Notices

jammers/scramblers

Old 07-15-2003, 09:00 PM
Digit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jammers/scramblers

im looking into radar detectors and did some searching on this forum as well as others and ended up with the valentine one being the best. bottom line is its $400, not exactly cheap. i looked into radar/lidar jammers and it rung in at $279 though i couldnt find as much information on those. so my questions are do scramblers work? are they better than detectors? how illegal are we talking? etc.
Old 07-15-2003, 10:56 PM
Kaiz

signal scramblers and jammers are incredibly illegal (i would not go this route unless u seriously know what you are doing and are ready to take the consequences if caught). a standard detector (technically illegal as well) can save u maybe 75% of the time. they cant really save u from laser if the cop is standing 200ft ahead with his speed-gun pointed at you either.

i say your own personal senses are the best detectors. i haven't gotten a single speeding ticket.
Old 07-15-2003, 10:57 PM
3 plus 1

If you do stumble upon a scrambler that does work, its either illegal or expensive as hell. They sell detector/scrambler combo's, but they are pretty lame radar detectors and usually if they are legal, the cop has to be within 20ft I think to tag you. But if he thinks you have a scrambler he'll just tail you from a while back and catch you anyways.
Old 07-20-2003, 09:51 PM
95tegRS

i use personal sences as defence #1, then use a detector as plan #2. I got a whistler, I only use it on the hiway because it is too annoying in the city. (false alarms 90% of the time).

cops are too smart, they lazer your car at the last possible moment, so even if you do jam your breaks its too late, and you already got a ticket.
as for the scramblers i can see how they would save you if there were a bunch of cars goign in the same direction, however if your the only one you will get jacked instantaniously!
Old 07-20-2003, 11:18 PM
thx247

You know what....

The methods that cops can use to hide on the freeway and the overall usefullness of a radar detector really makes me feel that:

1. If you are speeding hard core, 100mph-90mph. By the time you visually see the cop you are ****ed anyway.
2. Speeding 20mph over the limit on the highway is such a small ticket I wouldn't even worry about it.
3. Speeding 20mph over is pratically the flow of traffic speed in cali
4. Detectors give you too much confidence, your eyes never lie or give you a false reading.
5. Detector in your car gurantees that cop WILL give you a ticket. Sometimes they let you off, but I've never heard of a cop letting someone with a detector off.
Old 07-21-2003, 08:17 AM
qtiger

Originally posted by 95tegRS
cops are too smart, they lazer your car at the last possible moment, so even if you do jam your breaks its too late, and you already got a ticket.
Michigan only has a handful of lasers, all of which are used by the state troopers in and around detroit and lansing.

I've NEVER had a cop who was set up and operating come into range before my detector warned me.
Old 07-21-2003, 02:37 PM
3 plus 1

I have a passport 7500. Goes for about $220 at Best Buy. Not shabby at all. But I hever have and never will use a detector as a way of telling a cops around. I use it as a last resort. Like, if its dark and I dont see the cop I'll make sure I dont go wizzing by (almost got a ticket when me and my friend were havin fun at night and the detector saved me). But a detector isnt a ticket preventer. If you're speeding way over, it just tells you that you got a ticket. By the time it goes off and you're haulin ass, you cant slow down in time. This is also the reason I dont lend it out to my friends. They think they're invincible with it and go 100 in 45mph zones. Dumbasses.