Notices

Xenon Theft in NJ

Old 07-09-2002, 08:13 PM
BayAreaTLS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xenon Theft in NJ

I wanted to find out if anyone has some ideas to prevent xenon theft on TL models. My brother-in-law has a TL in NJ and have had his xenons jacked 3x from different areas. Any ideas would be appreciated.

We have thought about either installing a perimeter motion detector alarm system or custom fab a bracket to help secure the headlights.

I was wondering if anyone has any better/more creative and/or proven solution for this problem.

Thanks all.

BayAreaTLS
Old 07-09-2002, 09:13 PM
AcuraTL
Lord Vader Moderator

Default Re: Xenon Theft in NJ

Originally posted by BayAreaTLS
I wanted to find out if anyone has some ideas to prevent xenon theft on TL models. My brother-in-law has a TL in NJ and have had his xenons jacked 3x from different areas. Any ideas would be appreciated.

We have thought about either installing a perimeter motion detector alarm system or custom fab a bracket to help secure the headlights.

I was wondering if anyone has any better/more creative and/or proven solution for this problem.

Thanks all.

BayAreaTLS
Installing an extra bracket is not going to help because they would probably just break off from the headlight. Perimeter sensor is an idea, as well as a very sensitive shock sensor placed near the headlights. The most important thing your brother-in-law could do is park in a brightly lit area or park at places where there's high foot traffic. But again, if they really want to take it, there's nothing you could do to stop them.
Comptech Icebox, Headers, Exhaust, Lowering Springs and Sway Bars. Mugen front grille. Inspire tailamps. MOMO Sport 18 X 7.5 +42 offset. Axxis Metal Master front/rear pad. 2 Polk/MOMO 10" subs, Orion Xtreme 500.4 amplifier and Alpine CD changer.

Old 07-09-2002, 11:13 PM
Quikstep
OG Swollen Member

Damn, THREE TIMES? Where in NJ does your brother-in-law live? I'll remember to never go there.
Old 07-10-2002, 10:23 AM
BayAreaTLS

Thanks AcuraTL. I agree on the parking, but he has been doing all that plus parking in guarded garages. Your point about them getting them if they want them is totally true.

On a side note, what are your thoughts on just replacing the xenons with regular bulbs. I was thinking someone who is stealing them would know the difference and not damage his car/risk getting arrested trying to steal cheap bulbs. Thoughts?

Thanks again.

BayAreaTLS
Old 07-10-2002, 10:29 AM
BayAreaTLS

QuickStep,

The theft has happened in Edison 2x (garage once and right on the street outside his client's office the second time during day light). The other theft was out of a garage in Jersey City.

Amazing, isn't it? Two of the times he was hit, they jacked the lights from several other cars in the garage.
Old 07-10-2002, 11:53 AM
AcuraTL
Lord Vader Moderator

Thanks AcuraTL. I agree on the parking, but he has been doing all that plus parking in guarded garages. Your point about them getting them if they want them is totally true.

On a side note, what are your thoughts on just replacing the xenons with regular bulbs. I was thinking someone who is stealing them would know the difference and not damage his car/risk getting arrested trying to steal cheap bulbs. Thoughts?

Thanks again.

BayAreaTLS
Well, I don't think changing to regular bulb is going to work because the thief does not know that. All they know is that the TL has HID and that's what they are after.
Old 07-10-2002, 08:23 PM
Quikstep
OG Swollen Member

QuickStep,

The theft has happened in Edison 2x (garage once and right on the street outside his client's office the second time during day light). The other theft was out of a garage in Jersey City.

Amazing, isn't it? Two of the times he was hit, they jacked the lights from several other cars in the garage.
That is horrible. Shouldn't the garage be taking a lot of heat for all the thefts? They really aren't providing much incentive for people to continue parking there.
I hate hearing about crap like this :madfawk: all thieves!!!
Old 07-11-2002, 03:40 AM
silver03TL

Originally posted by Quikstep

That is horrible. Shouldn't the garage be taking a lot of heat for all the thefts? They really aren't providing much incentive for people to continue parking there.
I hate hearing about crap like this :madfawk: all thieves!!!

If you park the car yourself in the garage, that's just like parking on the street. You don't expect the city to pay for your damages when your car gets fvcked on the street do you?

I say the best solution is to somehow lock the hood so the damn thieves can't get into it. Installing trigger pins to sounded the alarm and a backup self powered siren would work also.
Old 07-11-2002, 08:39 AM
BayAreaTLS

Actually I think the way the thieves have been doing it is with some kind of tool to pull off the bumper, then they go in. I have not seen it though so I am not sure.
Old 07-11-2002, 10:32 AM
silver03TL

Actually I think the way the thieves have been doing it is with some kind of tool to pull off the bumper, then they go in. I have not seen it though so I am not sure.

If they are pulling your bumpers off, the best thing for you to do is parking head first against the wall as close as possible. Get an Autolock (I'm sure you've seen it on TV), lock your brakes, so even if they get into your car, they can't move it. I know this sounds like a big hassle, but it is better than loosing your headlights.