Notices

Stock 96 LS - a FW upgrade perhaps?

Old 07-14-2003, 11:02 PM
spooks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock 96 LS - a FW upgrade perhaps?

ok first post - i don't mean to rehash what's already been covered, forgive me if that's the case.

i just got a 96 ls 5spd 4dr completely stock... i'm not going to race and am essentially only looking for a bit more jump off the line - a little quicker acceleration, and not much more.

from what i've read it seems the simplest way to do this is with a new flywheel. i'm due for a new clutch within the next 6 months so i figure this would be the way to go.

most likely this will be a fidanza 7.5... question is, with a full stock ls will i get a noticeable increase - and will there be some tradeoffs in gas mileage? will a slightly heavier fw reduce some of the driveability issues, i.e. needing a feather touch on the gas in normal driving situations?

what is an ideal clutch to pair with this - by ideal i mean one that strikes a balance between cost and performace.

everything i've seen seems to say go for it on the flywheel issue... please let me know what some potential downsides are, whether they will definitely come into effect or not. last one - what is the stock flywheel weight on the ls?

thanks,
Old 07-15-2003, 04:54 PM
90'RS

You should be able to notice a difference in the acceleration of the car with a new flywheel since there is less force needed to get it moving. There are a few people on here that already have this done to there cars. I have heard good things about ACT cluches but as it really depends on what you want from it. Since you don't want much modding I would stay with a stage 1, or whatever the other brands might call there entry level cluches. Any brand should be good for what you want though.
Old 07-16-2003, 04:40 PM
jeepxj66

In my understanding a lighter than stock flywheel will give noticeably better accel but only after takeoff. The lighter fw reacts like less torque and requires more rpm to launch to keep from killing the motor. This higher rpm launch will wear your clutch faster and use more fuel.
I would go the route of a freer breathing motor. A good cat back exaust and cold air intake should improve more than the fw and have fewer drawbacks.
just my 2cents
Old 07-16-2003, 06:26 PM
spooks

thanks for the suggestions -

anyone else have an opinion on the flywheel vs intake/exhaust choice?

about how much would a decent I/E setup cost?

thanks,