Notices
Track & Autocross Talk lap times and race lines.

purpose of a short-shifter

Old 07-08-2003, 11:00 PM
PHiZ
BOOST GOD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default purpose of a short-shifter

Reading around, I'm getting hints at there being more to the short-shifter than I would have thought at first glance.

All I know is that it cuts your shift times, because you have less distance to throw the shifter.

What are other advantages, whether they be from the SS itself, or new bushings, etc.

Thanks, just curious, don't intend to install one in the foreseeable future.

-PHiZ
Old 07-09-2003, 02:52 PM
OddyseusDSM

thats more or less the point of a short shifter, unless you really have a long throw in the first place and want to cut it down. having a short shifter will also force your syncros to align quicker than normal which will put more wear on those. thats it really. bushings will cause the shifter to feel more positive, err.... precise in the shifts, they will also cause less movement other than the normal throw of the shifter.
Old 07-10-2003, 02:27 AM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

This was the kast thing I did for my car to get that last ounce of edge for competition. Even though it's only 1/10th on most courses sometimes that's all it takes for 1st and 2nd.

I think the best upgrade was the bushings as now I don't get any 1st to 2nd gear grinding anymore. My shifter was getting sloppy before I replaced it with a Skunk2 double bend and Energy Suspension bushings.
Old 07-10-2003, 06:52 AM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

You don't really want a "shorter" shifter. All that will do is put the shift knob farther from the steering wheel, which would make you spend more time with your hands off the wheel for shifts, negating any real advantage. A shorter throw shifter extends the piece of the shifter below the pivot ball, and is a better option, IMO, as long as you have clearance with your exhaust still.
Old 07-10-2003, 08:53 AM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Actually the Skunk2 double bend short shifter is the same distance as stock. Which is really nice. But I can see it barely missed my exhaust
Old 07-10-2003, 01:50 PM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

Yeah, a good short throw shifter will, a bad one will require a dented exhaust

For you fabrication types, you can make your own short shifter by inserting a piece of material the length you're after between the pivot ball and the shift linkage point. I haven't made one myself yet since I have a weird exhaust in place at the moment. Once I get it replaced with something simpler I probably will make one [that means I'll take pictures for everyone ].