Notices
Do It Yourself This is where you will find step by step instructions so you can Do it Yourself!

How to take out resonator in a 96 civic

Old 07-03-2003, 08:38 AM
96GreenCivic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to take out resonator in a 96 civic

Question to all
How do you take out the resonator that sits behind the bumper? I want to see how much extra sound that will create. Will that sound be equal to or greater then if there was a SRI?

Thanks
Old 07-07-2003, 04:32 PM
b20b_ek

theres no way in hell u can take it out unless you cut it. The thing is welded in there. It will create a lot of sound also. Just because it quites down your car doesnt mean it doesnt also function for airflow either
Old 07-09-2003, 06:48 PM
MikeR

yea it is there for a reason, such as back pressure. although you should be able to get away with it if the convertor and muffler are still intact, shouldn't be a whole lot of difference than taking the convertor off as far as back psi. is concerned. but you would have to cut it off and weld a section of pipe in
Old 07-21-2003, 10:59 PM
Ronin

you guys are talking about the wrong kind of resonators. He is talking about the one that is part of the intake system. I think you need to take the front bumper off to get that out. But don't quote me on it. Try searching or posting this in the civic forum for a better answer then i can give.

ronin
Old 07-22-2003, 03:29 AM
CiVTiC

yip, i took the intak resonator off on my UK '98 VTi.. i had to take the bumper off, also had to remove some of the underbody (plastic) protection, too. Other than that it comes straight out.
Old 07-22-2003, 07:40 PM
MikeR

ronin is the man, it never dawned on me he could be talking about the intake res, sorry guys, not sure on a civic but on a teg you can drop it straight down,
Old 07-25-2003, 06:35 PM
lilboi

Wrong. It is in the front passenger tire well. Just take off your wheel, then take off the plastic that protects dirt getting into your engine bay. The resonator should be right there.
Old 08-07-2003, 10:27 AM
LudeBehavior

You shouldn't have to take the bumper off. If you remove the wheel and pull back the plactic wheel well shroud and undo the corner of the plastic cover underneath then it should just unbolt and come right out. If you have a stock filter it will sound like crap. It will definitely be louder, but crappy loud, and you will not get a power gain. If you have a hi-flow filter like K&N, Accel, AFE etc. it will sound decent and give you some power. I would just say rip out the resonator and the stock air box and get a full intake. Then it will sound kick ass. If you get an intake, the longer the pipe is, the louder it will be.