Notices
Track & Autocross Talk lap times and race lines.

Looking for more feedback on my suspension setup

Old 06-30-2003, 04:07 PM
Bumnah
So OG it hurts.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for more feedback on my suspension setup

I've been working pretty hard on my 92 civic hatch's suspension. I've got a few questions. On my current setup. I hoping you guys can giving me some insight on it, and hell let me know if i'm doing everything backwards.

My mods for suspension:

ITR front and rear LCA's
Ground Control coilovers
650f/800r spring rates.
Koni Yellow's for the ITR (88 Crx Si also)
GSR front sway bar
ITR rear sway bar
Polyurethane bushings for both.
Energy Suspension master kit for the whole front suspension
Energy Suspension trailing arm bushings
Prothane ITR rear LCA bushings
Progress Camber Kit
Agressive setting in the front and one washer for each side.
Benen rear lower tie bar
Cusco front lower tie bar
Jim fab traction bars

The rims are 96 GSR rims with 205/50/r15 A032r's.

The car has a pretty aggressive drop, when I did the suspension bushings I went for the best tire wear possible.

Car isn't drivin' daily.
I'm aiming more towards a road racing suspension and I'm not gearing this towards autocross.

I've always been under the impression that it's better to have stiffer rear springs than the fronts to help rotate the car. I've got a good bit over steer with this setup so far.
I'm looking into revlaving and shortening the Koni's to match my spring rates.

I'm looking for feedback on how good of setup would this suspension be for road racing and some drag racing.

Pretty much I'm looking to have my suspension setup criticized and see what could use improving.

The car handles great as long as the road is nice and smooth. I'm not expert so I'm looking for feedback.

Rambling done.
-----
Old 06-30-2003, 05:31 PM
Andy
Hybrid Forum Moderator

I'll throw my $.02, you need softer springs. Your car isn't that heavy, you don't need such powerful springs. I think you might even consider a true coilover setup, as opposed to removeable sleeves like ground control. Just getting you guys started, tear into him!

'06 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Stock, for now
'98 Civic EX - CTR headlights and grill, Kosei K1's, for sale
'90 240SX - SR20DET that will never get installed, project car.
Old 06-30-2003, 07:19 PM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Nah he's fine. I know someone running a 1988 Civic DX with 600f/800r springs on revalved Konis. Don't expect people to jump in your car for rides though for the streets Your car would make a great milk shake maker

Also I know more people who use Ground Controls and Konis instead of full blown coilover setups. Because if one part breaks it's cheaper. If a full coilover setup breaks you have to buy the whole thing.

Looks good to me though. I'd trailer that thing to road courses Also what's your toe, camber, and how low are you? If you want to make sure you're using the whole tire get a pyrometer and do several runs maybe at an autocross to get tire temperature readings. You want the temperature on the front tires to be even across the whole tire (outside, middle, and inside shoulders). Then adjust the rear pressures to your liking of rotation.
Old 06-30-2003, 10:03 PM
matt j
midwest corn killer

are you having problems with the car rotating? if so what tire pressures are you running? i agree with civicsiracer the suspension setup he has is really good, i plan on running 475 575 for now, i noticed that when i dropped the rear pressures to around 30 (40f) the car rotated alot better, it was much easier to control if it pushed into a corner.

edit: also civicsiracer, i see you transfered my beginners autox thing to your sig here. right on!
Old 07-01-2003, 06:41 AM
CivicSiRacer

Originally posted by matt j
edit: also civicsiracer, i see you transfered my beginners autox thing to your sig here. right on!
Yeah I thought that line was funny
Old 07-01-2003, 06:45 AM
00R101

I think the rates are too high for the OTS Konis. Koni yellows are good to about 500 lb/in on a Honda per Koni. You are not getting any control out of them with 800s. Also you said the drop is "aggressive" You really don't want to go too low for RR.

To be frank, if you've got all this stuff installed and you are here now asking us, then its really too late. What I think (or anyone else thinks) does not matter. You are already committed. I think what you need is lots of seat time so you can "know" if the setup is right or not.

Forums are great places for some advice but at the level of road racing maybe you need a little more personal help from someone you trust rather than a bunch of opinionated, anonymous voices on the web.
Old 07-01-2003, 06:57 AM
matt j
midwest corn killer

ya 00r101 is right, if its already installed then you need to get seat time so you know the suspension is right.

And just so you know we had a debate on H-T about what spring rates the OTS konis can hold and it is 600 lb/in for hondas
Old 07-01-2003, 11:58 AM
Bumnah
So OG it hurts.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

The suspension has been installed. I've been working on it pretty constantly. I've noticed good improvements with the setup I've been doing. Yes I'm aware the Koni's off the shelf aren't good with my spring rates. I'm planning on revlaving & shortening them soon. Just tryin' to save up the money to do so. I was just posthing this up to get some more knowledgeable feedback on my setup.

Would this setup be any good for an autocross setup? I'm noticing some rubbing since I put on the Progress camber kit, and I plan to raise it up a little bit.

Any more feedback is greatly appreciated.
-----
Old 07-01-2003, 12:30 PM
CivicSiRacer

Sounds like a nice setup for autocross. Except you would be in Street Mod with your setup since the ITR Control Arms are not consider replaceable in STS/STX unless they change the camber or caster settings.

Street Mod you would need DOT R tires to compete with the best.
Old 07-02-2003, 11:54 AM
Bumnah
So OG it hurts.

the a032r's are dot approved r rated tires.

what kinda cars would i be facing in street mod?

i've gotta go to an autocross i think. i dunno how good i'll do though, never went to one before
-----