Notices
Do It Yourself This is where you will find step by step instructions so you can Do it Yourself!

Modulator going out?

Old 06-26-2003, 03:53 AM
curley3303

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modulator going out?

I have a 94LS and was told by a mechanic that my ABS modulator was bad and needed replacement. He was talking $926 just for the part! I can't handle that. There is definitely a noise from what I think is the modulator that sounds like a pump going bad. Is the modulator actually the ABS control module? I looked up the parts I might need, Actuator assembly, ABS Hydraulic unit, and the ABS control module. A friend has access to used parts at a junkyard and will hook me up with what I need.

Should I replace everything? Any suggestions or things I should look out for in doing this myself? I've ordered a repair manual but haven't received it yet.
Old 07-04-2003, 02:25 PM
MikeR

curious, do you seem to hear it when you crank the car more often, sounds like a fuel pump priming, or windshield motor running, kind of feel a small vibe when it's happening? i've got the same prob. if so, mine has been doing it since i got my car 4 years ago though, but seems to be occuring more frequently now, what are your symptoms? is there a braking prob. or just the noise?
Old 07-09-2003, 03:15 PM
curley3303

thanks for the reply. the noise is infrequent and sounds like a small pump working hard for a few seconds to 30-40 seconds. i've opened the hood and it is definitely the brake system/modulator. the abs indicator light comes on but i have not felt any decline in brake performance.
since my last post i have done some more research and found the correct part on line for about $520. driving down the road the other night i came across a wrecking yard called Woodfin located in midlothian virginia. they had guaranteed used part for $275 and a guy next door who will install for $100. heres the link www.woodfins.com.
Old 07-09-2003, 06:34 PM
MikeR

good deal, i am a big fan of junk yards, let me know how it goes, like i said mine does it everyonce in a while, but to the best of my knowledge i dont see any fault in braking or abs either, just an annoying noise periaodically which i usually compensate with loud music, lol