Notices
Do It Yourself This is where you will find step by step instructions so you can Do it Yourself!

93 civic front kit install

Old 06-21-2003, 01:52 PM
babababooey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 civic front kit install

So here's the thing. I ordered a front kit for my car and I want to install it myself. I enjoy doing this sort of thing myself, although I am not experienced and not very knowlegable on the subject. I even want to paint it myself. I just wanted to know if anybody had any advise, or step by steps for me. I have searched and not found much. Also, my radiator support is a bit mis-shapen from when I tapped my friend. Any advise for fixing this aside from installing an entire new unit would be helpful. Thanks.
Old 06-21-2003, 10:45 PM
jackasssi
Allstar

Honestly, let the pro's do it.
Old 06-22-2003, 09:16 AM
crxb16er

depends on how mechanically inclined u are, removing the front bumper is only screwes and bolts to undo, painting it involves sanding it down primering and painting then clear coating, radiator involves possible welding and bending of the frame or just "making it work", if its just the radiator bracket take it off and straighten it to what its supposed to be
Old 06-22-2003, 10:25 AM
babababooey

Thanks to both of you! I know the pros should do it, and I'm certain that they would do a better job, but I just feel better at the end of the day if I've done something myself. Thanks for the radiator support tip. I thought it was an entire piece that would have to be removed, not just the top. thanks
Old 06-27-2003, 10:04 AM
babababooey

Just an update. I picked up my front kit and took off my stock bumper. (Not Hard). Drilling the holes in the new bumper was not hard, and it maintains an oem fit that is more than I expected. The drivers side that meets the fender does not quite match up, but a little puddy for sculpting and a nice file should take care of that. As for sanding and painting, I cannot see that being too hard, just time consuming. This seems to be a mod that nobody wants to attempt themselves, and granted, I am not anywhere near finished, but so far, it's not as hard as everybody thinks.:thumbup:
Old 06-27-2003, 10:06 AM
96GreenCivic

I would say have it professionally done. It'll turn out better in the end. I only paint small things like my skirts.
Old 07-06-2003, 09:12 PM
babababooey

Default My journey is over

I finished my kit today. I know it's been awhile, but I just got a new job, and it's a little time consuming. In the end, it would have turned out nicer, and cheaper if the pros had done it. I spent alot on fiberglass resin and paint. The resin is nonsense, seriously, this stuff sucks to work with. You mix the liquid, and it stays liquid (impossible to use for anything) for about ten minutes. In literally a ten second span, it goes from non-useable liquid, to non-spreadable goup. Five seconds from that, it is hard. Plus, it is sticky as hell, and it will get everywhere. Don't waste your time using this to build the body. Just sand down where it needs it, and be happy. Putting it on is a piece of cake. Painting was a disaster. I don't know if I had crappy paint or I needed more clear coat or what. I might not have done a good enough job sanding. Scratch, I know I did not do good enough. It came out rough in the end, with sort of a grainy quality, which will be interesting the first time I wash the car.
Here's the best part. The first paint turned out ok. Like an idiot, I let it dry for awhile, and fliped it over to put on the grills. (A struggle in itself, Resin again!). To my pissed off surprise when I turned it back over, paint from the front was stuck on my mat! One word... SHIT! By this time I was so pissed, I just sanded a bit, definitely not till smooth, threw on some more primer and paint and called it a day. HAHA. when I was masking my grills for this last bit, one was not well enough attatched, and it popped off. Resin strikes again.
What am I left with? A bumper that is obviously home painted, with a few paint drips, noticeable sanding marks, smooth in some places and like a sandy beach in others, and grills that might fall off. I am however very proud of my creation, and I can look at it and say that I did it.
I would recoment this project for anybody with the knowhow and will to do it. Or just die hard do-it-yourselfers like me. It was hard, my feet and hands hurt, and are both jet black with sticky mess, (HAHA.. sorry), and my kit is less than adequate, but I am happy, I did it.
Old 07-07-2003, 05:17 AM
96GreenCivic

wow, what a story