Notices
Do It Yourself This is where you will find step by step instructions so you can Do it Yourself!

DIY Carbon Fiber (boot-Leg edition)

Old 06-18-2003, 06:32 PM
BobDaGoOn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY Carbon Fiber (boot-Leg edition)

I got bored a while back and ordered 4ft of that Vinyl Carbon fiber stuff. Then today got bored again and noticed it, and should do something with it. My first project is the carbon fiber center console. And here it goes.

Take everything apart. Didn’t take the time to document this process but not that hard. I’ll go back and document that later. But to generalize the first step, it’s to target your project and extract.

My target was the area around the shift boot. Couple mins, pulled it out and measured how much I need to cover it. Be very generous, better safe than sorry.

I used a hair dryer on high heat and low fan to make the vinyl stretch around the curves. Try not to stretch it too much or else the pattern would look funny. Just heat it up and stretch it a little and tuck it under.

I finished it up by cutting the center, heating it up again and tucking under. Re-assembled the center console and thinking of other things to do

Ok so it's rice, but it's economical rice. It's cheaper than those dash kits and Personally I think it looks better. Theres only so much you can do to the car at one time. I guess a little rice project keeps you one with the car till the good stuff arrives (DIY T-25 Turbo :thumbup: )

Taking suggestions. I was thinking about the wrapping the side skirts, but have to pay for the better vinyl. Someone at Team Integra already did it and looks pretty nice and holding up. Was considering the lip too since I have an un-prep Wings West RS2 lip sitting in my closet waiting for funds for a full paint job.

need more info, feel free to PM me

thanks,
Mike
Old 06-19-2003, 02:28 PM
lkailburn
college kid

i'm all about the DIY. i've already done a DIY type r grill, and clear headlights. i left you a PM
Old 06-21-2003, 09:54 PM
WideBodyEK
Stage 3 Modified

i give you props for doing it,..but carbon fiber "look" is ghey,....please dont wrap your side skirts and lip in that,...good job though
Old 06-23-2003, 10:08 AM
lkailburn
college kid

hey please post more pics if you continue this project. thanks
Old 06-23-2003, 10:46 AM
crxb16er

looks pretty good buddy, just dont get carried away with it.
Old 06-23-2003, 03:43 PM
Daniel

Originally posted by WideBodyEK
i give you props for doing it,..but carbon fiber "look" is ghey,....please dont wrap your side skirts and lip in that,...good job though
I always ask myself, why did Acura use the faux carbon fiber for the ITR..
Old 06-23-2003, 06:51 PM
WideBodyEK
Stage 3 Modified

Originally posted by drumsy
I always ask myself, why did Acura use the faux carbon fiber for the ITR..
fucking :werd:
Old 06-24-2003, 11:13 AM
crxb16er

hey now aint nothing wrong with carbon fiber, its really tight in the porsche 911 tt u can literally see thru the interior, kinda weird on ur eyes at first but looks awesome. i dont agree with carbon fiber hoods though? just looks weird having just one part of ur car carbon fiber.
Old 06-24-2003, 01:25 PM
BobDaGoOn

Well this is about fake carbon fiber. I figure it is kinda bootleg. I get bored easily and these little rice projects keep me tied down so I can save up for better stuff. the skirt and lip would cost me 50 bucks and hold me over for a full paint job. But I was thinking I can use the 50 bucks for an S2000 antenna or a junkyard turbo. (B.T.W. correction: A T-25 a bit to small for a B18's)
Old 06-24-2003, 04:10 PM
WideBodyEK
Stage 3 Modified

Originally posted by crxb16er
hey now aint nothing wrong with carbon fiber, its really tight in the porsche 911 tt u can literally see thru the interior, kinda weird on ur eyes at first but looks awesome. i dont agree with carbon fiber hoods though? just looks weird having just one part of ur car carbon fiber.
me and drumsy was talking bout fake carbon fiber like shown above,...we werent dissing real carbon fiber,....i really like the look of CF,..just not to much of it to where it looks over board,...and there is nothing wrong with a carbon fiber hood :squint: