Notices

to turbo or to supercharge that is the question

Old 06-16-2003, 05:07 AM
Ivn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default to turbo or to supercharge that is the question

hey
looking into adding a turbo kit or a supercharger kit to my s2k
anyone have anything installed? does anyone know of the turbo kit from speedcraft or ultimate racing? any quality issues or reliability issues? any info would be greatly appreciated! really looking for better low end torque. any other suggestions?

Old 06-16-2003, 06:53 PM
Arniss

Check out www.speed-craft.com. They managed to stuff a turbo in the S2000. Basically since the S2000 is such a high compression engine (stock ratio is 11:1) they tend not to do so well with a turbo or at least are limited to low boost. Supercharging is usually the power boost of choice for most of the S2000 crowd. Check out the Speed Craft link though and see what they have done with S2000 and turbos.www.speed-craft.com :goodjob:
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg
engine.jpeg (107.3 KB, 437 views)
Old 06-26-2003, 07:56 AM
crucial Si
Banned

i like turbos
Old 06-29-2003, 10:57 PM
Tirod

exactly like said above.. there's a reason there are more sc kits out then turbos for the s2k... more practical... look into comptech :thumbup:
Old 07-01-2003, 12:03 PM
LateApex

If you must go for forced induction (FI) without first trying a new gearset, wheel size adjustment and final drive, I have a few notes on FI for you. BTW, I'm critical because I did not try the other methods first and went right into FI out of the box.

I got the third Comptech kit shipped. I can show by postings on the s2ki forum that although I was third, mine was on out of the shop and on the road before anybody but the test mule.

I have 61,000 supercharged miles on the S2000. If you want a nice, high-powered way to destroy your engine, get one. It doesn't matter whether you get the Vortech or the Comptech.

The vibrations that are transmitted to the engine from the mechanical gear box are death shakes.

While the turbo is more expensive and more difficult to manage, it's doable and it does not vibrate the living hell out of your engine.

Go turbo. Did I say to go turbo? In case you forgot, go turbo.

I'm about to install my third bottom-end. Need I say more?
Old 07-03-2003, 05:31 AM
Ivn

thanks for the input
i have been looking at turbo kits from
spool
ultimate racing
speed craft
any idea about driveability and reliability?
:driving:
Old 07-05-2003, 12:37 PM
Flyspyder55

well first off you shouldnt even be thinking about any king of forced induction unlesss your planning on dropping that compresssion to 8 or 9
Old 07-15-2003, 09:02 AM
DanTAWS6

Sell it and buy something else. You could buy a supra for all the money you would be putting into that. A supra with 1400$ worth of mods would kick the shit out of that setup.
Old 07-20-2003, 02:14 PM
JumpinJackrabit
Your Favorite Cat

Turbos have much better mid range power. Take a look at this month's issue of Hotrod, they have a comparison between turbo charging and centrifgul and roots style blowers.

Dropping compression would probably be as easy as buying a head gasket kit for that purpose. But I don't think that tradeoff would impact total power production significantly. You would be able to get more air in the cyillnder, but it does less work.

Also, don't buy a Supra just because somone else tells you to. Of course DanTAW is talking about ones made after 92. (Older ones are sweet too). The S2000 is a nice little car, so boost on.
Old 08-28-2003, 03:43 PM
LateApex
Track Day Club

If you want input on turbos, go over to s2ki and send a PM to these folks, Wesmaster, cbj80 and cbender. They are the three S2000 owners that I would consider to be the "leading edge" on turbocharging the S2000.

Just because of the way that they conduct themselves, I'm impressed with the Ultimate Racing folks. However, I have no real experience with them what-so-ever.

BTW, one, some or all of those three may have a suggestion of others that have good experience. Ask them for recommendations if you go there.