Notices
Do It Yourself This is where you will find step by step instructions so you can Do it Yourself!

DIY tire Patch

Old 06-11-2003, 04:05 PM
BobDaGoOn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY tire Patch

After some guy attempting to rip me off, I’ve decided to patch my own tire. And it was pretty damn easy. Took a trip to the local speed shop and did some research. They handed me a tubeless tire repair kit. They had a verity ranging from 3.99 to 9.99. I’ve already located the hole b/c the day before I filled it up with the goop stuff to slow down the leak, some of the goop leaked out marking the hole. Just in case took my touch up marker to better mark the hole.

It comes with this tool and a few repair strips. All you do is thread the repair strip through the needle eye of the tool and push the tool into the hole. Twist the tool till the entire strip entwines itself inside the tire. Then pull the tool out until you clear the tire’s surface. Cut the repair strip as close as you can get to the surface of the tire and then your done.

Thats how it looked when I was done, Kinda messy b/c I tried to wipe the goop off with a paper towel. The stuff was self-vulcanizing, so it would melt and harden by itself. I didn't cut it close enough so it's kinda messy

Optional/Notes:
If the hole too small use a screw driver to make the hole larger so the tool can be put into use.

Not neccessary, but you should drive the car for a bit so the repair strip can heat up faster. But I figure it would be faster if just do a burn out or power slide at an emty lot or swirve left and right like the pros :thumbup:
Old 06-12-2003, 12:35 PM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

More...
You can get another tool, kinda looks like a real course rat-tail file. That cleans out the hole, & makes it a bit bigger (like you say to use a screwdriver).

Some of the tools are pretty soft. I had one that looked like your picture, but it bent when I pushed it into a hole that wasn't quite straight. YMMV...

I've had better luck with plugs that are made of rubber, instead of those that are made of rubber-soaked yarn.

If the hole is at the side, too close to the sidewall, you're SOL.

Better way is to use a patch inside the tire casing, but you have to take it off the rim. I've seen patches with built-in plugs where you pull them thru from the inside towards the outside till the patch is laying flat against the inside of the tire.
Old 06-13-2003, 07:24 AM
crxb16er

or u be cheap like me, put on a set of spare rims and take the tire to the place u bought it and say fix my sh!t, because u got road hazard coverage. my problem is my camber is off which causes the whole inside to burn out quickly, even with my camber kit i get wear.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:20 PM
jeldemire917

That fix-a-flat stuff is never a good idea. It eventually leaks and is also very flammable. For like 10-15 bucks more just take it somewhere to get it plugged.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:12 PM
Civic2Scooby

dude that isn't a tire patch...its just a plug kit. and thanks for the dead thread from 5 years ago bump
Old 09-03-2008, 09:11 PM
nonbox

You have to dismount the tire to do a patch repair. Patches are applied to the inside of the tire and will require mount and balance of the tire after it's patched.