Notices

Need input/reviews and advice on 97 Accord EX's

Old 06-08-2003, 09:16 AM
ZDriver96

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need input/reviews and advice on 97 Accord EX's

My friend is selling his 97... it might be a 96... Accord EX.
It has 112k miles on it. Its fully loaded. He's replaced the CV joints, brakes serviced.
Is there anything on these cars that you have to watchout for?
How long do the stock water pumps last?
How long do the starters last?

He's taken care of it. Oil changed regularly. Think he's using regular dino oil at every 3000k miles.
I need a reliable car while I build up my z28 more.
This accord needs to get me through 3 more years of school or another 36k miles. Were both weekend mechanics but primarily on tricking out our Z's and wranglers. So we dont know to much about Honda maintenance.. hopefull because there is none
Hes dumped no major money into the car and it runs smooth still.

Any input/advice would be great.
Old 06-08-2003, 09:58 AM
e3NiNe
#CustomUserTitle

the stock water pump and timing belts should have been changed at 90K,

the 5th gen accord is the last one to be imported from japan ( i think ) so the quality is all there, unlike the 98-02's

i have 2 friends that have driven their 5th gens well over 150K and they're still going strong with basic maintenance only.
Old 06-08-2003, 10:08 AM
drmmrboy87

My friend has a '94 ex (same generation) with around 166k miles on it. He's had nothing wrong with it other than normal maintenance. He did get the tranny replaced around 160k, but he drives it hard all the time, so that's not the car's fault. But about the water pump, your supposed to replace it along w/ a new timing belt around 75k (by the manual) I changed mine at 85k. I know someone who waited untill 110k and had no problems. Hope this helped some.
Old 06-08-2003, 10:25 AM
03accordcoupe
^New car...2003 BMW 330ci

Originally posted by drmmrboy87
(same genetation)

Hehe...genetation...
Old 06-09-2003, 08:16 AM
cjamie

Don't buy it... it is a piece of junk. I have to live with it cause it came with my wife. So far I had nothing but head aches... Fuel milage is not good at all consider the small engine (I get around 22 mpg, same as my old A4 1.8T Quattro, slightly worse than my volvo 850 turbo). I was looking for legendary reliability... but I find the car having as much trouble as a 96 volvo I had. Worst part is that it is not smooth at all, engine vibrates like crazy and shifting is extremely jerky. They say it is normal for Honda to be like this... If you pay anything more than $4000, you got ripped off.

If you insist buying, make sure that the balancer shaft seal had been serviced for the recall otherwise your engine fluid will all come out one day and your engine will basically fail. engine mounts are also common items to brake on 96 model, there are 4 mounts, make sure that they are all in good shape. test the battery with a multi meter to make sure it is in good condition. see if the tires and breaks need to be replaced any time soon...those are hidden costs of the car... Let me tell you...Honda parts and service are not cheap at all.