Notices

Accord Starting Problem

Old 06-07-2003, 08:59 AM
twitch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accord Starting Problem

My wife's '90 Accord LX has a problem starting sometimes. It seems to happen during the summer / warmer weather. When you turn the key you hear all the right sounds but the engine just won't fire up. The battery is good. The wires & plugs are also good. My wife says that if she gives it five minutes or so after it doesn't start then it will fire right up. My buddy's '90 Legend has the same problem. I did a search & nothing really seemd to fit my situation. Ideas?
Old 06-07-2003, 09:18 AM
aero3685

Obviously you didnt use the search button very well, because I am POSITIVE that you would have found numerous threads. But anyways, It is the Main relay. all older hondas have the problem. A new one @ the dealer runs around 40, and are made to not do it again. Its really easy to replace, located under the dash somewhere.
Old 06-07-2003, 09:21 AM
xawax

i've had a similar problem on my 98 accord.

i took apart the starter selenoid and cleaned it and it hasn't happened since...it was just a contact problem.
Old 06-07-2003, 09:26 AM
Samson
chris is the devil

i think this is one of the most common problems in 4th gens. The starting problem, then starting a few mins after. what a pain.
Old 06-09-2003, 03:12 PM
jfiedler
Junior Member w/Fries

Default Re: Accord Starting Problem

Originally posted by twitch
My wife's '90 Accord LX has a problem starting sometimes. It seems to happen during the summer / warmer weather. When you turn the key you hear all the right sounds but the engine just won't fire up. The battery is good. The wires & plugs are also good. My wife says that if she gives it five minutes or so after it doesn't start then it will fire right up. My buddy's '90 Legend has the same problem. I did a search & nothing really seemd to fit my situation. Ideas?

replace the main relay. it's a known problem with 4th gen accords. order p/n 39400-SM4-003 from any honda dealer, they list for $54.85 and have been updated to prevent the same problem occuring again.

the relay you are looking for under the dash is about twice the width of a standard bosch automotive relay, will have a connector with 7 spade connectors on it arranged in two rows, and will read "mitsuba relay assy, main rz-0088 12v" on the side.
Old 06-12-2003, 02:06 AM
twitch

Default Relay swap worked...also an Acura Problem?

Thanks for everyones' assistance. I got one of the above mentioned relays. In fact, I tried to start the car prior to installing it & it wouldn't start. After swapping out the relay it fired right up. I bought mine from hondainfo.com. My local dealer wanted $69 for the part. :madfawk:

Does anyone know if this also happens to early model (1990) Acura Legends too? It seems my buddy is having the same problem.
Old 09-13-2004, 10:34 AM
POOPSMITH

I have a 1990 LX, 173k mi. I just got it last week, and have been having intermitant starting problems... Sounds like it may be the same thing... it is getting more and more consistant though....

upon start up I turn the key to the on possition wait for the engine light to go off and then turn the key to the start position. All I hear is a click under the dash, and maybe the engine attempting to turn over... but nothing... I will attempt again imediatly after and it will start fine... battery sounds strong and it starts right up.... does this sound like the same issue?

Also, there is a hesitation in oil pressure. Engine will tick for a second or so and the oil light will stay illuminated for a second upon startup after sitting overnight... is this typical?? any soulution? i am sure that it is not good... maybe thicker oil???

any assistance is greatly appreciated....