Notices

94 Prelude H23a to H22a Conversion

Old 06-06-2003, 11:10 AM
shelbydogg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 Prelude H23a to H22a Conversion

I just installed a JDM H22a in place of a bad h23a, in a 94 Prelude Si. The JDM motor was a manual, and the Prelude is an automatic. I'm going to wire it up this weekend. Most of the plugs are the same but:

1. The distributor on the h23 has an external coil and the plug on the wiring harness to match it. The H22 has an internal coil. Do I just use the whole distributor off of the h23?

2. The fuel line on the h22 is on the right side of the engine, the stock line is too short. Do I buy a longer line or try to switch the fittings to feed the rail through the left hole?

3. I know that I need the p13-auto ECU, but I need to know which wires to run for the VTEC option. I heard it's 3 wires but don't know where to find a pinout on the "net".

Any answers fron somebody that has done this before? One company was going to charge me $250 plus shipping to convert my stock wiring harness! What a rip-off that would have been.

I 'll probably have more questions and some answers after I get it running. I finally got it all bolted in last night.

Shelbydogg@aol.com
Old 06-06-2003, 12:22 PM
n1kon

Wow that's odd, I'm just finished a JDM h22a swap into a 94 AWS lude today....

None the less, I'll make a "How To" list with detailed infromation as far as the pinouts and dist. plug goes and some pictures to help you out.

Expect my updated post around 12-1 EST.

As far as the fuel rails go, switch up the sides to run it left and use different banjo fittings to make it fit.
Old 06-06-2003, 05:28 PM
92h22a4

I swapped out my friends accord with an H22A Type-S and we just rewired the Distributor with the internal coil to the ECU and it works. Its got the coil and everything. Just rewire the harness to your preludes' harness.
Old 06-06-2003, 09:25 PM
v4lu3s

1. use the h231 distributor and the external coil

2. use the h23a1 fuel rail and lines

3. use the 5psd ecu and the h23a1 tranny controller. run 2 wires
one to a4 and one to d6 a4 is your vtec solenoid and d6 is your pressure switch. then run a ground for the pressure switch.
Old 06-07-2003, 10:18 PM
shelbydogg

n1kon,
Did you ever get those distrib pin outs?

92h224a,
Can you help with the pin-outs for the internal coil distributor? I think the wiring harness has 3 wires for the external coil. that would be a lot easier if I just have to move one wire to the distributor to get spark and not have to mess with re-timing it.

v4lu3s,
Thanks for the tips. I was able to use the H23 fuel rail and bolted it all together. Did you mean to get the 5speed ECU to use on my AUTOMATIC Lude and keep the auto controller? I don't understand. Another forum said to get the "p13-auto" ECU.

I plugged everything in except for the oil pressure sensor and the vtec solenoid. I had to change the throttle body side plate for the one with dual grooves, one for the gas pedal, one for the auto trans pressure valve. I did change the distributor, but would like to use the internal coil due to the vtec solenoid being in the way of the coil mount. I had to move over some extra emission valves from the h23 intake, and remove an extra solenoid control valve that controlled the vacuum to the fuel pressure regulator on the h22. I also had to use the h23's upper radiator hose neck, since the h22's neck didn't have a temp sensor on it.

I tried to start the engine and don't get any spark OR fuel delivery. I was told that I have to have the JDM H22 ECU installed or it will not run, So I tried that too. I don't hear the fuel pump come on when I turn on the key. It's back to troubleshooting 101. I'll let everyone know what I find.

Thanks in advance!
Shelbydogg@aol.com
Old 06-11-2003, 04:24 PM
92h22a4

You can start the car with any ECU. OBD1 that is. F22, H22 USDM or JDM will start the car.

Okay,

at the bottom is the pinouts for the ECU. The JDM one is exactly the same. For this, I assume you have a multimeter (voltmeter).

Find out what color is for what wire.

B11 = CYP (Cylinder Sensor) (should have a shield around it), connect it to the JDM wire harness that has the same color.
B12 = CYP Ground. Do the same with it.

B13 = TDC (Top Dead Center) (shield around it) Connect it to JDM harness
B14 = TDC Ground. Do the same.

B15 = CKP = Crank Sensor (shield oround it) Connect it to JDM Harness
B16 - CKP = Crank Sensor Ground. Do the same.

You can test your wires at the Distributor to the ECU Pin connector and it should beep (using continuity checker). The wires with shields on the JDM harness should go directly to the Distributor. (Use a sharp pin or needle to tap the wires on the distributor and touch it to the voltmeter and see if it beeps. If it's the same color, or if it beeps to the same wire on the JDM harness where you are doing the connection, you should be okay).

This is all done without using an exernal coil. Because the JDM is internal. Just pretend you are connecting to the coil instead of right to the Distributor, therefore you don't even do any wiring on the distributor. Just the harness.

If you only do your wiring on the harness. You know, the connectors where the engine harness connects to your cars harness. When you wire the Distributor pins from B11 through B16, it will be connected to the Coil internally already. No need to wire anything directly to the coil inside the distributor.

<br>
Old 06-12-2003, 11:13 AM
shelbydogg

Default It's running BUT;

I finally got it running last night, but had to get a wiring diagram to find out why I wasn't getting any power. It looks like I dont have a ground point at my black wires. The dash lights up and the starter cranks, but I didn't have a good ground to the fuel pump and ignition. I'll trace the wires and see where they should go. Everything worked when the h23 was in it though.
I had to ground the BLACK wire on the fuel pump relay. I then had fuel and spark and was able to start the car.

The wiring diagrams show all the grounds going to a common point. Does anyone know where the common ground point is? This is the ground from ECU-A23,A22,fuel pump relay, some engine sensors, all marked BLK in the wiring diagrams.

I'll trace it with a "fox and hound" signal tracer tonight, but was hoping somebody has dealt with this before. The h23 didn't have any ground problems.

shelbydogg@aol.com
Old 06-12-2003, 11:51 AM
92h22a4

Hey Shelbydogg,

Which Distributor are you using?

Can I have the one that you are not using? I need one.
Old 06-12-2003, 06:07 PM
shelbydogg

Thanks for your help 92H!

The distributors belong to the guy that I'm puting the engine in for.
I'm using the External one now, but will switch to the internal, when I find this damn ground wire.

Does anyone know where the 2 BLK wires, in the ENGINE Wiring harness, go to ground? These are also the shield wires that go around the distributor circuits. I can't find where they ground to either the battery or the engine.

Shelbydogg@aol.com
Old 06-13-2003, 02:25 AM
92h22a4

As long as you have a ground wire from the car's chassis to the the engine. Just ground it to the engine. It'll work.