Notices

Best tires

Old 06-04-2003, 03:41 PM
mpykalo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best tires

Do you have any thoughts on what tires I should get for my stock rims in order to improve things a little? These need to be all-season tires, though, as we get snow up here on occasion.
I have 15x6.5 stock rims (see sig) which I really like. I don't want to up-size the rims since this will mean that they will be heavier and I will loose power.
I installed the H&R wheel spacers in order to achieve the increase in handling properties one would expect from up-sizing to 17s… this also equalized my front to rear track (the stock track is 61.2” front and 60.4” rear) making the car a lot more balanced. In fact I had 17x7 rims with toyo t1 proxies on my car for a couple of days and find this setup better (a friend let me try them and I thought the car was too sluggish).
The only issue is that the stock tires blow... they scream whenever I corner.
Old 06-04-2003, 03:57 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"best" and "all-season" don't go together. All season sacrifice a lot of snow traction for good grip or a lot of grip for a lot of snow traction. I have a set of winter tires and a set of summer tires...very high quality on both. That's what you need when you need good snow traction (150 inches/yr in Syracuse) and demand outstanding dry and wet grip in the summer.
Old 06-04-2003, 04:05 PM
mpykalo

OK, so if I get some winter rims and tires, what should the summers' be and what should the winters' be? It does not snow that much in Toronto so I want the winters' to be performers too.

Thanks
Old 06-04-2003, 04:13 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Originally posted by mpykalo
OK, so if I get some winter rims and tires, what should the summers' be and what should the winters' be? It does not snow that much in Toronto so I want the winters' to be performers too.

Thanks
For summer I would definitely get the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3. Unfortuanetly, they are very expensive. They ran me like $550 shipped...but I can't stand not having great tires. I'd rather have stock rims and spectacular tires than 18's and cheap tires.

I dunno about winters...you may want to just grab a cheap set of all season for that. www.tirerack.com is a great website. It's all your decision though...a dedicated set of all season would be the most cost effective but all season/summer or winter/summer tires are ideal for living in the north.
Old 06-04-2003, 05:07 PM
smakdown

go to www.tirerack.com and put in your car specs for a tire search, i think what you are looking for is the category of high performance all-season tires. Depending on your budget i would suggest something along the lines of maybe yokohama avs, yokohama t4, bridgestone potenza, etc..
Old 06-04-2003, 05:09 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Originally posted by smakdown
go to www.tirerack.com and put in your car specs for a tire search, i think what you are looking for is the category of high performance all-season tires. Depending on your budget i would suggest something along the lines of maybe yokohama avs, yokohama t4, bridgestone potenza, etc..
Just a warning: high performance all season have awful snow traction.
Old 06-04-2003, 08:08 PM
Josh M

Potenza S03....bar none best tire out there, I will never be without them on the street....unless I got drags on

Yokohama makes some decent tires....kumho supras also in my opinion handled excellent in wet weather.....
Old 06-04-2003, 08:13 PM
Zamboni

Have two sets of tires one for winter and other for summer,I would go with Michelin Pilot sport.
Old 06-05-2003, 06:38 AM
vtecaccord01
Performance isn't $$$

hey xsentrixsupra what cars do you have,

I am looking at Yokoham AVS100 for summer and Continental ContiExtremeContacts for all-season.
Old 06-05-2003, 07:27 AM
Kingseth2

Originally posted by vtecaccord01
hey xsentrixsupra what cars do you have,

I am looking at Yokoham AVS100 for summer and Continental ContiExtremeContacts for all-season.

I just bought the ContiExremeContacts, they are the highest rated all season tire on tirerack.