Notices

Should I buy the extended warranty?

Old 06-04-2003, 10:54 AM
c5kirk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I buy the extended warranty?

Well, I'm off to pick up my 03 EX V6 Sedan w/Nav this afternoon and I'm still undecided about the extended warranty. The only thing that worries me is the Nav... if something were to go wrong I imagine the repair bill would be fairly hefty.

What are your thoughts? Also, if anyone here has purchased an extended warranty from their dealer... what should I expect to pay?

Thanks for any advice.

Kirk
Old 06-04-2003, 11:02 AM
TJCCARDCO

I wouldn't, most honda parts are reasonably cheap. By the time you would need to fix anything, I would put money on it that you won't have the car anymore.
Old 06-04-2003, 11:05 AM
TriKKy

Personally, I would (and am) waiting until maybe my 2nd year, if not 3rd to extend. You have up until 2 years, 364 days and/or 35,999miles to purchase. The only advantage I see to buying now is that you get to finance that too. Put it this way though, either you get to keep your money longer and have it earn interest or whatever, and then pay after saving up for it in 2 years...OR you give them your money, let them earn interest on it, and you lose money. I have the NAV too...as I said, Im waiting until year 2 or 3. I have towing and gas service through my insurance company, and since I have nav I dont need them to plan my trips. My $.02
Old 06-04-2003, 11:09 AM
TriKKy

Originally posted by TJCCARDCO
I wouldn't, most honda parts are reasonably cheap. By the time you would need to fix anything, I would put money on it that you won't have the car anymore.
I disagree. Maybe it's cause Ive owned 2 American cars in a row, but I wouldnt be caught dead without an extended warranty, especially given the fact that the 7 gens are basically rolling computers. All I can say is DANGER. Those computers, if and when they go bad, are a pretty penny. I worry about the NAV screen alot...it's a TON of money. My feeling is that the extended warranty is necessary for (myself) at least. I'm planning on keeping this car for quite a long time and Ive heard, and lived through too many horror stories to not get it.

As a quick example....my 98 Tahoe sport had all sorts of brake and electrical problems...after $1000, $2000 there, $1000 there...it adds up quick...and the warranty would be much cheaper than that.
Old 06-04-2003, 11:10 AM
AccordSleeper
Former H22 Accord Owner

well generally most defect type things can and will go wrong within the 3yr/36K window. depending on price a 5yr/75k warranty may not be bad especially if you have an automatic tranny and with all the new gadgettry in new cars their is more shit to go wrong. although if you plan on modding it or not keeping it for a long time then it may not be worth it. if it were me i would buy it cause i would keep the car for at least 5yrs and i would pay the employee price which is about 1/2 the cost you would pay.

i'm not sure nowadays but i though the 5yr/75k plan was about $800-900 back in 95. my dad paid in like $425 for it on what is now my car. although when he bought his 96 accord a few months later he did not buy it. also, we never used the warranty anyways.
Old 06-04-2003, 11:51 AM
AccordCutie

Since this is the first year 7th gen accord, I would get an extended warranty. With first year cars, who knows what can go wrong:devil:

But you can also save that extended waranty money in the bank and use that money for repairs when you need to.
Old 06-04-2003, 12:08 PM
fastball
A little chin music

Location: Cleveland, Ohio - Rock 'n Roll capitol of the World

Originally posted by TriKKy
I disagree. Maybe it's cause Ive owned 2 American cars in a row, but I wouldnt be caught dead without an extended warranty, especially given the fact that the 7 gens are basically rolling computers. All I can say is DANGER. Those computers, if and when they go bad, are a pretty penny. I worry about the NAV screen alot...it's a TON of money. My feeling is that the extended warranty is necessary for (myself) at least. I'm planning on keeping this car for quite a long time and Ive heard, and lived through too many horror stories to not get it.

As a quick example....my 98 Tahoe sport had all sorts of brake and electrical problems...after $1000, $2000 there, $1000 there...it adds up quick...and the warranty would be much cheaper than that.
Not a single warranty claim on any Honda I've owned or anyone I know. That includes my cousin's old 89 Accord EX..... got rid of it at 190,000 with only routine maintainance (clutch at 135,000, brake pads, belts) and a new radiator at 140,000 for about 250.00 installed. I know people with 5th gen Accords way over 100,000 and no visits to the dealer (except, again, routine maint.) My Mom's 98 LeSabre has already had a new alternator and right rear wheel bearings replaced, and she is a very conservative driver, with only 45,000 miles. If you're comfortable with extended warranties, I guess you can buy it if you want on a Honda. But there really is no need. For at least 100,000 miles, Hondas are change the oil, fill the gas, and forget it cars.
Old 06-04-2003, 12:34 PM
TriKKy

Have you been reading all of the crap that has been wrong with the 7g so far??? Ive gone in for mulitple warranty repairs already (granted they are al fit and finish issues...nothing mechanical). But you got people who, if they accelerate too hard, get rotten egg smell.... This is stuff that is coming out now.....what happens to all the stuff that isnt that bad right now, but will get worse with time. I guess after a car passes 60K I would be a lot more comfortable with not having a warranty on it if I had no problems before. Just my feeling....and like I said....the more computers take over cars, the more can go wrong.
Old 06-04-2003, 12:49 PM
fastball
A little chin music

Location: Cleveland, Ohio - Rock 'n Roll capitol of the World

Well, I guess the 7th gen has had more than a few glitches. But I would be willing to bet the house that in 2 years this car will be as perfect as any other Accord. I guess since there is so much brand new and untested technology in it there are more problems than usually associated with a Honda.
Old 06-04-2003, 04:11 PM
c5kirk

Thanks for all the advice!

Well, just got back from the dealer and ended up getting a package deal on the 7/100k warranty, vin acid etching, and InTire Warranty (details below). F&I guy started out asking $1650 for just the 7/100k warranty... ended up getting the entire package for $1100. Usually not an extended warranty kind of guy... but being a first year model, all the new electronics, and the Nav... I decided to bite the bullet and do it. I plan on keeping this car quite a while.

BTW... just pasted the details of the InTire warranty below in case anyone was interested since I'd never heard of it before.

Thanks again!

Kirk
(Proud owner of a new '03 Accord EX V6 w/Navi - 23 miles and counting - pix to come soon)

///// InTire Stuff /////

5 YEAR COVERAGE W/UNLIMITED MILEAGE for first and consecutive sets of tires and wheels.

PAYS ALL COSTS (NO DEDUCTIBLE) for tire &/or wheel repair or replacement due to road hazards.

1. Nails

2. Glass

3. Metal

4. Potholes

5. Blowouts

INCLUDES:

1. Repair or replacement of tires.

2. Repair or replacement of wheels.

3. Includes cost of mounting and balancing.

4. Includes valve stems.

5. Includes cost of taxes and customary labor.

6. Pays $50 per occurrence roadside tire assistance and towing.