Notices

Caliper Siezed last night

Old 06-04-2003, 07:37 AM
RaceACCORDingly
You are teh suxorz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caliper Siezed last night

last night while driving i noticed that my rear driver side caliper was skidding through the rotor, it wasnt siezed so far as to be dragging my tire, but it was rubbing the brake.
i pulled into the parking lot where we have our local meets, and went to actually buy new wrenches, and a mallet to do surgery on the parking lot

once it was all said and done the caliper works like new again now, but is this a permanent fix?

do these problems usually happen for a reason that is more then just dirt on the caliper or should we have fixed this problem last night in the parking lot?

thanks.

-chris
Old 06-04-2003, 07:39 AM
decibel_dj

do you do alot of burn outs or something?
your rear braking system is rarely used other wise
Old 06-04-2003, 07:41 AM
RaceACCORDingly
You are teh suxorz

nope i am very easy on the car, no burnouts or anything like that.

im thinking it may be a problem with my rear brakes from honda, simply because the car is a little over two years old and the rear brakes have already been done once, and now this happened.

the only time i ever use the rear brakes would probably be to put the handbrake on when the car is stopped.
Old 06-04-2003, 07:43 AM
decibel_dj

i mean honestly i havent done my rear brakes in ova 3years and their fine. last time i got my front done, my rear were 20% worn
Old 06-04-2003, 07:46 AM
RaceACCORDingly
You are teh suxorz

yeah i know the rear brakes arent supposed to be wearing this fast at all.

do you think there could be something wrong with the car itself? the braking system could be screwed up?
Old 06-04-2003, 09:10 AM
decibel_dj

yeah something really really wrong. as far as the rear section of your car any changes (accident, drop, new braking systems, other suspension mods, etc.)
Old 06-04-2003, 09:12 AM
RaceACCORDingly
You are teh suxorz

the only thing i have done is paint my calipers, but i dont think that this would mess things up. they were done about a month ago, far after the first brake problems occured, and a month is a long time to only now have an effect on the brakes if the paint is the problem.

i have no drop, stock rims, no accidents, etc is all good.
Old 06-04-2003, 09:14 AM
decibel_dj

well get some paint remover and unspray your calipers cuz if you want to go to the dealer with the car you dont want to hear no mess from them about mod'ing the rear of your car
Old 06-04-2003, 09:39 AM
Bob Shiftright

I had a front caliper seize last week, and it warped the rotor, too, so I wound up buying a new rotor in addition to the new caliper. Unfortunately, it happened about 100 miles from home. I had just replaced the pads and rotors 3 months ago. I even flushed the system. "It just happens" they said. 120k on the car, so no warranty. Yes, I'd second that idea about visiting the dealer if it's still under warranty!
Old 06-04-2003, 09:48 AM
Josher

In my 96 Integra, I've had the sliders seize, but never a Caliper. Lets just say that shit can happen. If its not under warranty, Murrays has Calipers that are rebuilt and have a lifetime warranty on them for roughly $70. I believe autozone has a similar offer. The Caliper shouldn't have seized so soon on a new car like that. But in response to your question as to whether your fix is a permenant fix, No - I wouldn't risk it. Its a tough call, however.... On my friend's mustang, he repaired a Caliper with a C-clamp (by pushing it back in) and 2 months later, no problems. Try to get it replaced by the dealership.