Notices

Is Sylvania Silverstar any good?

Old 06-04-2003, 01:32 AM
Zuerst

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Sylvania Silverstar any good?

Color? Actual lighting capability? Wasn't there an article that compare the stock Stanely bulb against some after-market ones? Anyone know the link to that?

Thanks,
Old 06-04-2003, 01:41 AM
Acc99

the color isnt exactly pure white on the road, slightly yellowish, but by no means like stock. output is pretty good if you do the 9005 conversion. imo much better than all the blue ricer bulbs out there. hope that helps, i have em on my car right now :thumbup:
Old 06-04-2003, 03:59 AM
T-bone976

The problem with some of these super white/bluish bulbs is that they wash out on dark, wet roads (ie you cannot see where you are going as well as the stock-yellowish bulbs). Do the stars have this problem?
Old 06-04-2003, 05:12 AM
TriKKy

They most certainly do. As someone pointed out on another thread, the higher K you go, the worse they will do in the rain. Since Silverstars are higher color temp than stock with virtually the same lumens output, they don't show as well in the rain as stock bulbs. I have a 7000K HID now and Im even worried about the rain. Oh well...take it as it comes I guess

I am not a big fan of the famed 9005 conversion. Yes, it gives plenty of light but unless you re-aim them you will blind people. And if you re-aim them to point down, it defeats the purpose of more light from the stronger bulbs...seems silly to me to have all that extra light a few feet in front of your car but not out down the road where you really need it.
Old 06-04-2003, 03:06 PM
silspd

Originally posted by TriKKy
They most certainly do. As someone pointed out on another thread, the higher K you go, the worse they will do in the rain. Since Silverstars are higher color temp than stock with virtually the same lumens output, they don't show as well in the rain as stock bulbs. I have a 7000K HID now and Im even worried about the rain. Oh well...take it as it comes I guess

I am not a big fan of the famed 9005 conversion. Yes, it gives plenty of light but unless you re-aim them you will blind people. And if you re-aim them to point down, it defeats the purpose of more light from the stronger bulbs...seems silly to me to have all that extra light a few feet in front of your car but not out down the road where you really need it.
Could you share more about your HID conversion? I'm interested to know the brand (where I can buy them), the light pattern (is it spread out or concentrated) and how hard to install (for a dimwit like myself). Thanks. =)
Old 06-04-2003, 03:09 PM
AKUFC
PANIC NOW!!!

Hmm that's weird, in the rain I see better than Stock with my silverstars.
Old 06-04-2003, 03:13 PM
Zamboni

I had both the Silverstar and CoolBlue on other car and CoolBlue is better in my opinion.
Old 06-04-2003, 04:13 PM
e3NiNe
#CustomUserTitle

Old 06-04-2003, 04:33 PM
TriKKy

Once it stops raining here I will post pics of where the ballasts are placed and such. Kits are plug and play. Do a search for HID and you'll come up with 1 million places to buy kits. I got mine on ebay. You have to be careful what you get. If I were starting from scratch I would buy Hella ballasts/ignitors from ebay or something, and then get Philips bulbs. Since you have reflector headlights you want to get D2R bulbs. If you have any more questions email me... mike@trikky.com
Old 06-04-2003, 08:19 PM
accordtuner
Banned

cool blues are worse than stock.:closed: