Notices

new member, 1998 V6 problems, please help

Old 06-03-2003, 08:08 PM
Zols83

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new member, 1998 V6 problems, please help

Hi all,
I am new member to this board and am in need of some help- a few minor problems. I hope that some of you will be able to help me with some things. I may be able to help some of you in the future (I know a lot about the 90-93 4 cyl accords) Anyway, I have been having a few problems occur with my 1998 EXV6 sedan lately. First of all the brake light has been coming on. It usually stays on for about 15 mins then goes off. Usually happens when the car sits overnight and when it is cold out. I have read that the float in the master cyl becomes saturated, causing the light to come on, on the panel. And yes, I have enough brake fluid in there. Anyone else ever have this problem? Secondly, my check engine light is on again. Took it to the dealer, thinking it was an EGR clog again and would be covered under recall, they told that my EVAP gas vent shut valve has become stuck (common problem). I would like to replace it soon? I found all the parts I need from Majestic Honda online at the lowest price around. All I want to know is did anyone ever replace the vent valve and is it hard to replace? My gas gauge also still takes a while to go all the way up after fill up, even after the dealership replaced the malfunctioning part. This doesn't bother me but is there an easy fix? Lastly, two lights have burned out in my dash area. The one light burned out for the sunroof button and the light behind the gas gauge also burned out. At night these two items are very dark with the panel lit up. I am guessing that I have to tear apart my dash to get to these bulbs. Anyone replace those, or take apart there dash? I should get a Haynes manual for my Accord soon. Well hope someone can help me out. Thanks for your time and hope to hear from you soon,
Jon
Old 06-03-2003, 08:54 PM
H-Accord-22
Duh

First I'd like to welcome you to the board.

As for the brake Light, couldn't be that your socket is loose or your bulbs are half burned just like mine, It went on and off all the time.

For the dash bulbs, Try to PM NhatDuongChi, he did the blue LED conversion for this 6th Gen so he should be familiar with this to help you out.

For the engine part, where's the vent valve located, I may know how to fix it, but can't visualize or know the terms.

My gas meter has the same problem, Full tank only point a lil but upper of the 3/4 meter, I got used to it.

Hopefully some1 else would help you out
Old 06-03-2003, 09:09 PM
jschmid

And if you are going to get a manual, get a Helms. www.helminc.com Mine's been worth the money.
Old 06-04-2003, 07:19 AM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That valve is under the car, forward of the gas tank, kinda below the drivers-side back seat. Not too hard to change, but there's not a lot of room to work. You'll need stubby or angled screwdrivers. I also helps if your fingers are really skinny and can bend every different way.

Got jack stands? I wouldn't go messing around under there with the car supported on a jack.

Helm manual is better than Haynes, but of course it costs more...

About the brake light... Is it the warning light for burned-out brake light bulbs in your taillights? Or the warning light for the brake fluid reservoir? I think they're different warnings on that car. Brake fluid warning might be shared with handbrake warning, if you're looking for shorted wires.
Old 06-04-2003, 08:56 AM
Zols83

Thanks for all the replies
The brake light I was refering to was the brake light for the master cyl/reservoir. I am asuming that Honda dash and panel lights for the 6th gen Accords are pretty low quality, thats a shame. I never had these types of problems with our 90 accord. Since I am going to be putting jack stands under the rear of the car while changing the vent valve, where do you all recommend to put them. Should I put them in the jack locations right before the wheel. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks again
Jon
Old 06-04-2003, 05:16 PM
MrChad
THE RED 6th GEN Coupe

To replace the sunroof button light you pop out the entire 3 socket assebly from the dash. Remove the coinbox tray and remove screws to do it.

Then order/purchase the new LED bulb from Honda dealer. They have them in stock, usually. It should be a couple of bucks. I had the same thing happen to my cruise arming button next to the sunroof switch.