Notices

Removing rear bumber skin on 03 coupe. HELP!!!

Old 06-02-2003, 10:40 AM
h240vtec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing rear bumber skin on 03 coupe. HELP!!!

Hey guys

I know that someone had posted this before when they were tinting the rear lights on a 03 coupe. But I cant seem to find it. In that thread they talk about removing the rear bumper to get at the lights, I just need to remove the bumper skin. Someone hit my rear bumber and scrapped it while parking (ASSHOLES) . Any way the damage is minor but I am very anil and I want everything back to way it was. So I want to remove the skin and take it to my local honda dealer to respray it. I tried to do the air brush thing but because the car is Satin Sliver it cant be blended back because I would have a dark spot there. As told by my local air brush place. Anyway I was wondering if anyone had detailed instruction on how to remove it. I know that removing it is a tad much but I dont want any overspray on my car.
Old 06-02-2003, 10:46 AM
decibel_dj

damn thats really ova kill. for a moment i thought you were gonna take it off and get a whole new bumper from the factory or something. honestly i'd leave it alone cuz its gonna get scratched the next time some1 parks their car near yours. i would opt'd to get the bumper guards. at least now they have some good looking ones that flow with the look of the car instead of those cheap ones like when they first came onto the market.
Old 06-02-2003, 11:01 AM
h240vtec

Its not overkill. This is not a lite bumper tap, this happen when they were parallel parking. It caught the edge of the bumper near the quarter panel and even broke the mud flap. there are three half dollar spots of paint missing. Trust me if this was a slight bumper tap from normal parking I would not be removing the bumper. Beside the car is only three months old. I want my sh*t to look nice for a decent amount of time.
Old 06-02-2003, 12:15 PM
DJ Scotty

Originally posted by h240vtec
Its not overkill. This is not a lite bumper tap, this happen when they were parallel parking. It caught the edge of the bumper near the quarter panel and even broke the mud flap. there are three half dollar spots of paint missing. Trust me if this was a slight bumper tap from normal parking I would not be removing the bumper. Beside the car is only three months old. I want my sh*t to look nice for a decent amount of time.
Just as a side suggestion, I had the left corner of my 99 EX V-6's rear bumper scraped by some incosiderate ASSHOLES as you call them (and you are totally right---these bastards have to die), and I called a paint guy who came down to where I live and wetsanded the spot for 200 bucks; dont know if you wanna go this route instead of doing the dealer way; dont know exactly how bad your damages are---mine were bad. They were white scrapes all over the corner of the bumper.

A kid in a Maxima during the winter here backed right into my ****in car with me and my girl standing there in a Blockbuster parking lot---all his friends in the car thought it was funny, but he left damage under the coating of road salt on my car at the time. I had the paint guy fix it all, though, and he has to come this weekend to give the area a final shine. Just my two cents. Wanted to beat the ever lovin shit outta this kid with the Max....
Old 06-02-2003, 01:44 PM
h240vtec

Thanks for the reply but my damage is not paint on paint. With wet sanding your taking the offending cars paint off of yours along with a little of your own clear coat, then with a radial buffer you bring back the shine and shes all pretty again. I wish mine was like that I would be in alot better situation. But I am missing my paint its down to the black bunmper the primer, paint and clear coat is gone. I have no other choice but to paint it.
Old 06-02-2003, 01:49 PM
DJ Scotty

Originally posted by h240vtec
Thanks for the reply but my damage is not paint on paint. With wet sanding your taking the offending cars paint off of yours along with a little of your own clear coat, then with a radial buffer you bring back the shine and shes all pretty again. I wish mine was like that I would be in alot better situation. But I am missing my paint its down to the black bunmper the primer, paint and clear coat is gone. I have no other choice but to paint it.
Well, my scrape didnt really leave residue of another car, they were scrapes that went through the paint and made a white blemish all over the corner of the bumper; but I figured I would throw that out as a suggestion to ya; maybe a body shop could suggest something else before you completely repaint the whole shebang...
Old 06-02-2003, 02:05 PM
h240vtec

Thanks Im just bummed out. :sad:
Old 06-02-2003, 04:01 PM
jschmid

Well, if it's like the previous gen, it was basically bolts in the wheel wells, then a bunch of clips in the trunk, then it's a tug and pull process to release it from the little clips that hold it in place below the tail lights. You can try that.
Old 06-02-2003, 04:08 PM
03accordcoupe
^New car...2003 BMW 330ci

I couldn't figure this out either but eventually did...there are two bolts hiding when you open your trunk under covers...take those out. Then if you have mudguards unscrew all three of those bolts on both sides, if you dont there should be one or two screws in the wheel well you need to undue. Then just pull, it's snapped on to the body so just pop it out.
Old 06-02-2003, 06:55 PM
jpeso25

bumper guards are GAY... stay away from them at all cost !!!