Notices
Track & Autocross Talk lap times and race lines.

Goodyear F1 tires...

Old 05-30-2003, 10:38 AM
doctorsohc
I HATE SCAMMERS!!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goodyear F1 tires...

Anyone running Goodyear F1 tires on their civics? What do you guys think about them?... Just ordered a set for my 93 hatch and am curious how well they will hold up autocrossing and in the rain(size 205/45/16). They are replacing my POS toyo proxes FZ4s, which I hated since the day I got them - very poor wet traction, balance issues, etc.
Old 05-30-2003, 07:08 PM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

The FZ4s are an all season tire so yeah I would expect it not that great of grip.

No one I know runs Goodyears for autocross if they want to do well

I'd try the Kumho MXs, Kumho 712s, Yokohama ES100s
Old 05-30-2003, 11:11 PM
The Beav
i

Originally posted by CivicSiRacer
The FZ4s are an all season tire so yeah I would expect it not that great of grip.

No one I know runs Goodyears for autocross if they want to do well

I'd try the Kumho MXs, Kumho 712s, Yokohama ES100s
what about azenis? i like them alot, i don't know about wet traction or daily driver use though
Old 05-31-2003, 01:12 AM
Shingoblade-GSR
Hellsing Agency

Originally posted by thewretchedbeaver
what about azenis? i like them alot, i don't know about wet traction or daily driver use though
Cheap, loads of grip, huge following in the STS crowd, but pretty poor tread-wear rating.

Shingo
Old 05-31-2003, 08:41 AM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Originally posted by thewretchedbeaver
I had no problems with them for over 18 months I had them. Sold them last week with 2mm of tread left and they would hydroplane at 70mph. But realize any tire will hydroplane if you drive too fast.

I had 30 autocrosses, 2 track days, 15K daily driving miles on those Azenis. But people have be complaining of crazy tire wearing issues because they are running crazy alignment settings. I had 0 toe front and rear, 1.5 negative front camber and 2.2 negative rear camber and I was dropped 2".

People who wore through them quick had like 1/4" toe out front and rear and I believe toe wears out your tires quicker than camber. I even talked to the Falken tire rep and he said yeah other people who run conservative toe get more wear out of the tires.
Old 06-01-2003, 02:54 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Goodyear F1 tires...

Originally posted by doctorsohc
Anyone running Goodyear F1 tires on their civics? What do you guys think about them?... Just ordered a set for my 93 hatch and am curious how well they will hold up autocrossing and in the rain(size 205/45/16). They are replacing my POS toyo proxes FZ4s, which I hated since the day I got them - very poor wet traction, balance issues, etc.
I just bought F1 GS-D3 in 225/50/ZR16 and I must say that so far they are fantastic. Compared to the Potenza S-03:

- Much quieiter
- Much better riding at high PSI
- Much more predictable - when you start to slide in extremely hard cornering, it's easy to reel in. The S-03's wanted to spin you out.
- Much, much, MUCH better grip in the wet. They're as good in the wet as they are in the dry. The Potenzas had a nasty tendency to hydroplane at high speeds.
- They don't have quite the ultimate dry grip of the S-03's, but see two items above.
- Very cool looking

Overall, I am extremely happy with them. EVO magazine ranked them #1 in a test with 7 other maximum performance tires last year. The test was done using a Ford Focus ST170, a front drive hatch

The problem I have with the Azenis is their awful wet grip. It rains too much up here.
Old 06-01-2003, 03:44 PM
stephan
:exnbp:

Azenis don't have a problem with a wet surface. Just standing water from my experience. BTW I live in Seattle and own Azenis :fawk:
Old 06-01-2003, 03:47 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by :exnbp:
Azenis don't have a problem with a wet surface. Just standing water from my experience. BTW I live in Seattle and own Azenis :fawk:
Azenis don't have close to the wet weather capability of Potenza S-03's or F1 GS-D3's.
Old 06-01-2003, 04:06 PM
Nathan1234
Domestic Driving Asshole

My car came with goodyear F1's, and they suck (especially in the reain). Pretty bad. Ok for cheap stock tires, but far below the firehawk tires I had on my other car.
I've heard great things about Yokohama Parada Spec-2 tires from some of my civic driving friends. Maybe you guys have heard about these.
Old 06-01-2003, 04:15 PM
stephan
:exnbp:

Originally posted by 98CoupeV6
Azenis don't have close to the wet weather capability of Potenza S-03's or F1 GS-D3's.
Have you personally owned the tires? Because I've had both S-03's and Azenis to know that you can drive both in the rain on the freeway around 70mph safely. Azenis aren't too bad in the rain besides with standing water or puddles. And that is from personal experience not some magazine :thumbup: