Notices

changing my brakes tomorrow on my 94 dx

Old 05-30-2003, 07:06 AM
HLD_Civic
se7en

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changing my brakes tomorrow on my 94 dx

I'm changing my front brake pads tomorrow on my 94 dx hatch. This is the first time I'm doing brakes so I'm just looking for any advice or things to look out for. I have all my parts already and a step by step manual. I have all the tools that I should need. Since my car is a 94, is bolt on the back of the caliper that I need to remove to get the caliper off going to be hard to get off? I've been warned that this is easy to strip - is that true? also, any tips or quicker ways to do things would help out a lot. Any time frame of how long this usually takes to do with just changing pads expecting that the rotors are fine? thanks for any help.
Old 05-30-2003, 07:17 AM
Cashis EG8
Registered Rota Dealer

Make sure you have the right pads first. I went to kragen to get my pads and they gave me EX pads instead. I found out after I had my car in the air, my wheels off, and junking my old pads - leaving me stuck. Pretty simple process, a clamp works best to compress the piston back again. Just take it slowly and make sure you do it right :thumbup:
Old 05-30-2003, 07:21 AM
Jessica
ch1x0r

yeah, once i got the wrong pads...good thing we have extra cars at my house. Its fairly easy (i'm a girl and i can do it), make sure you have heat-resistant gloves if you've just driven the car, and as for the rotrs, you should be fine this time, but next time get it done professionally if you can't do it yourself good luck :thumbup:
Old 05-30-2003, 07:23 AM
Cashis EG8
Registered Rota Dealer

Originally posted by 99civic_love
next time get it done professionally if you can't do it yourself good luck :thumbup:

I've always believed in: if you can't do it yourself, try anyways - theres a small chance of you doing it right, and if you mess up your friend who knows how will fix it for you for pizza and beer
Old 05-30-2003, 07:27 AM
Jessica
ch1x0r

Originally posted by Cashis EG8
I've always believed in: if you can't do it yourself, try anyways - theres a small chance of you doing it right, and if you mess up your friend who knows how will fix it for you for pizza and beer
i get guys to do things for me just by smiling :naughty:, but sometimes i feel bad and give them cigarettes or buy them lunch

oddly enough, they don't mind doing it...
Old 05-30-2003, 07:44 AM
HLD_Civic
se7en

word, thanks for your advice on checking to make sure the pads are the right ones. i'm pretty sure they are, but i'll make sure before i pull my old ones off and junk them. i don't think that i can screw this job up. thanks again.
Old 05-30-2003, 08:37 AM
Cashis EG8
Registered Rota Dealer

Originally posted by 99civic_love

i get guys to do things for me just by smiling :naughty:, but sometimes i feel bad and give them cigarettes or buy them lunch

oddly enough, they don't mind doing it...

I've tried getting guys to do stuff for me, but I don't have boobs

Originally posted by HLD_Civic
word, thanks for your advice on checking to make sure the pads are the right ones. i'm pretty sure they are, but i'll make sure before i pull my old ones off and junk them. i don't think that i can screw this job up. thanks again.

Good luck on the job :thumbup:
Old 05-30-2003, 09:52 AM
randomtask77
Wanderer

I don't have C-clamps.
Old 05-30-2003, 12:21 PM
HouseofKolorEX
I get off on WD 40

I too am a chick... and I did my brake job... new rotors, calipers and pads in an afternoon with a few Coronas in my tum-tum. Keep us posted. It's a common sense job. Good luck.
Old 05-30-2003, 03:08 PM
toadolson
The One And Only!!!

Sorry to jack your thread, but while were on brakes. Doing pad and rotor here in the near future and had some paint left over from painting my wipers. It's the flat black bar-b-que pit paint rated up to 1200 deg f. Would crap still stick to the hub section like an un-painted one?