Notices

1991 Legend, temperature readings

Old 05-26-2003, 02:49 PM
tomg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1991 Legend, temperature readings

My Legend has some confusing temperature readings. If you start the car and drive it without shutting it off, it works fine. If you shut it off and then start it up before it completely cools off, the temperature guage will spool up to high, stay there for severla minutes and then spool back down. If you check the engine temperature while the guage is showing hot, the temperature is fine, however, the AC won't kick in nor will the heater and the cooling fans ran for long periods after the car was shut off. If you waited long enough, with the engine running, there was a audiable clik and the A/C and Heater would then work. The dealer changed the thermostat, because they felt that was the problem. That helped nothing. They then changed the sending unit on the bottom of the rad. The engine now heats up when left idling. The dealer seems intent on finding the problem by changing our components at $80/hr. I can change components and we seem to be getting further away from the solution.
Has anyone had a similar experience?
Regards
Tom G.
Old 06-01-2003, 04:03 PM
daddykay24

Sounds like a bad relay for the fans. Both fans should come on when you turn the ac on, if not it can cause the temp guage to read higher than normal and if the temp guage is too high the ac will not click on. There is a small black box with relays under the hood. Try switching one relay around with the ac on until both fans come on, then replace the bad relay and that should do it. I had this problem on my 1992 legend and the relay was the cause.
Old 06-02-2003, 06:08 AM
tomg

:madfawk:
The Legend is now at the dealers. It had a blown head gasket, which they are replacing. Everything else seems to have checked out okay. Get it back today, and we will see. If it still acts up, will check the relays.
Thanks Tom G.