Notices

'03 Accord custom audio?

Old 05-18-2003, 05:36 AM
bmaillard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '03 Accord custom audio?

Hi everone,

I just bought a new 2003 Accord EX-L (without Nav) and would like to upgrade the sound system. My salesman told me that the stock deck could be used as a pre-amp, but I am starting to wonder whether this is true or not. :-) I suppose they'll tell you anything to make a sale, right? :-)

It seems to me that I'll need to use a high-pass filter/converter to use external amps with the stock deck, right? I'd like to add my own amps, speakers, crossovers, and sub. Has anyone done this?? Why can't I find any info out there??! What's the best way to do it? I've always done my own custom sound installations, but I'm a little leery about doing this one myself! :-)

Any tips, ideas, and tricks would be GREATLY appreciated! And if you know of any links/sites with good info, please pass it along!

Thanks,
-brian-

PS. I cross-posted this to the Audio group, too. (Sorry.) Just wanted max exposure. :-)
Old 05-18-2003, 09:03 AM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

drive over to ny and i'll do it for you!

You're gonna want amps with high level (speaker) inputs, or if the amps you want dont have them, you'll need a LOC (Line Output Converter) that will transform the speaker level signal to a line level signal.

An easy way to send the audio signal from the deck to the amps in the trunk is to get some "speed wire", its a 9 conductor, color coded cable for all 4 audio channels and one wire for a remote turn on. It makes the install 10 times easier.

upgrading the stereo in your car is pretty easy... I'd say the hardest thing will be getting that beast of a deck out of the dash.
Old 05-18-2003, 10:59 PM
willba

i got a system put in..just needed a high low convertor for like 10 bucks. some audio store put it in for me..it took about 3 hours and they told me it was a hassle cuz it's new to work with...they had problems looking for a hold to allow the wires to go thru from th epower supply...
Old 05-19-2003, 02:50 PM
titaniumGSR

haha.. shoot 3 hrs.. they mustve sucked.. hmm.. mine took about an hr.. w/ the hi lo converter.. just got a sub in there.. want new speakers tho.. as for the deck.. i have no clue.. id rather keep it though.. if u changed that for an aftermarket one.. u wouldnt be able to use the nifty steering wheel volume and track controls.. =P
Old 05-19-2003, 04:53 PM
proteus

more people have setups posted over at v6performance.net
Old 05-19-2003, 05:12 PM
bmaillard

Thanks all! And SumAccordGuy94, I'll be living southwest of Albany in about a year, I might just take you up on that offer! :-)

It's actually not that hard to get the deck out, I think. I've got schematics of the entire console & dash. (I say that *now*!) :-)

But now I'm starting to think about the logistics... would I want to put the converter in the front and run long RCAs to the amps in the back? Or would I want long simple speaker wires running from the deck to the back, and short RCAs? And I'm already worried about running that damn speaker wire through the door jam. :-)

I'm looking forward to it already, but my wife really doesn't want me "screwing up the new car". We've only had it 6 days now. :-) I won't be able to spend any money on it, of course. I'll have to use the stuff I pulled out of my last car. (If you want the list, I can post it...)

Thanks again for your help!
-brian-
Old 05-19-2003, 06:16 PM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

you can get plug in adapters so you dont have to cut any of the factory wires. I'd say put the LOC at the deck... use an adapter to plug into the back of the deck... and run the speaker wires directly to the LOC. Run the RCA cables from there to the amps. Then use that speedwire I was talking about, and run from the amps back up to the deck... there, use another adapter to plug into the cars wirring... run the cars power wires to the adapter plugged into the deck, and connect the speedwire to the adapter plugged into the cars harness. Then there is no need to run new wires through the door jambs (which is a total bitch) and everything is just "plug-and-play".
Old 06-16-2003, 11:07 PM
bassiccutz

I'm trying to hook up an amp and I don't know where to get a power source for the turn-on lead. Anyone know of a good setup?