Notices

burning oil

Old 05-17-2003, 08:56 AM
djvoltron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default burning oil

Burning oil question:
This problem started around november last year.

I have a 1994 honda accord, and I have to put in a quart every month or two.
I tried doing a compression test and let it go for 7 compression strokes. The first stroke read at about 120 ( a little below the minimum) followed by higher readings until it reached 200 on the 7th stroke. This reading was consistent on all four cylinders.
I then added a couple of drops of oil in each cylinder and my compression increased by ten.

My question is are these readings normal? I figured that if I had a problem my compression would be either low on one cylinder or on all cylinders, however my readings are above the standard across the board (standard was about 178 for 94 accord btw)
I am trying to find the culprit to the oil burning. I also checked under the car and I do not see any oil leaking or on my asphalt.

Another thing that my car does that is weird is if I sit idling for about 15 minutes my temperature guage will start to go up almost to the 3/4 mark ( I dont know if that is normal or not or related.)

any suggestions would be appreciated

thanks
Old 05-19-2003, 05:46 AM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The compression #s sound good to me. It's normal to take a few revolutions before it doesn't go up any more. Did you unplug the injectors or pull the ecu fuse? You don't want to be injecting fuel during the test.

Oil should always increase it a bit, that sounds normal. If one was real low (yours aren't), and oil didn't improve it, then you'd know it was the valves or their seats. (Not a typo - I don't mean seals.)

A compression test (or a leakdown test either) won't show leaky valve stem seals. Does it make blue smoke when you're decelerating in gear? High vacuum will pull more oil thru the valve stems.

When you idle, and the temperature rises; does the radiator fan come on at 3/4 then the temperature comes down? That sounds almost normal. Maybe replace the fan switch. What about driving? Does it overheat when the car's actually moving? If the temperature won't come down after the fan starts running, or if it gets hot while driving; then maybe you could use a radiator (or clean yours).
Old 05-19-2003, 07:38 AM
AccordManiac
Korean Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check your valve Steam guide rubber.....