Notices

Accord 95 cold Start problems

Old 05-16-2003, 11:26 AM
sks_bos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accord 95 cold Start problems

Hi,
My 95 Honda Accord (4 cylinder) refuses to start on cold days. Pepboys changed the battery and the starter after doing diagnostics(! ) each time, but the problem still exists.

I have usually noticed the problem on cold days. The engine makes the cranking sound, but it does not start. On warm days (temp. > 50), I do not have any problems. Pepboys said that they can diagnose it correctly only when the car does not start. Now that the weather is better, I do not have the problem, but I feel that I will get stranded once it starts getting cold again.

Has anyone had similar problems. What would be the solution?
Thanks.
Old 05-16-2003, 01:45 PM
95AccordEXR

fuel

how do you define "cold morning"?
Old 05-16-2003, 05:06 PM
VRGNCD5
cause it's tight!

Default Re: Accord 95 cold Start problems

Originally posted by sks_bos
Hi,
My 95 Honda Accord (4 cylinder) refuses to start on cold days. Pepboys changed the battery and the starter after doing diagnostics(! ) each time, but the problem still exists.

I have usually noticed the problem on cold days. The engine makes the cranking sound, but it does not start. On warm days (temp. > 50), I do not have any problems. Pepboys said that they can diagnose it correctly only when the car does not start. Now that the weather is better, I do not have the problem, but I feel that I will get stranded once it starts getting cold again.

Has anyone had similar problems. What would be the solution?
Thanks.
I've never had it not start(Well, once when I went to Monterey:angry: ) but I have noticed that it does crank a bit slower, more lethargic than usual. I just replaced my battery cause it was that time, but when it's warm out, like you said, it starts up so much easier. I am hoping that my fuel injection system is clogged from the 9 years of work they've been putting in. I am planning on getting the system cleaned thouroughly this weekend, hopefully my lady will give me the okh:
Old 05-26-2003, 07:01 PM
sks_bos

how do you define "cold morning"?
----
Usually around 50 Degrees or less. Also, I have noticed that when I do not start it for 1 or 2 days, I have this problem, even with temp around 60 degrees. To sum it up, the starting problem exists, either when the temp is below 50 degrees, or when I have not started for 1 or 2 days and temp is below 60 degrees. If I need to check the spark plugs or the distributor, what is the testing equipment that I need.
Thanks,
Old 05-27-2003, 07:17 AM
95AccordEXR

hahaha... I define cold as -20C

I'd say you have a grounding problem
Old 06-03-2003, 10:09 AM
sks_bos

I'd say you have a grounding problem
-----------------------------
Is there any way of finding out where the grounding problem exisits?
Also, if it is grounding problem, how does it explain the car starting when the weather gets better (> 60), even though it did not start for 2 days (when temp was below 50).
Even before my battery and starter was changed (by pepboys ), the car started fine with temp > 60.

Once, my car was sitting in my office parking lot for 3 days (temp was below 50). I tried starting atleast 3 or 4 times everyday. On the 4th day, the temp. was above 50, and the car started on the first try!!!
Old 01-30-2004, 07:56 AM
xtomxfallsx
Hostile XVII

I'm having the same problem with my 94 Accord. Starts like a dream in normal weather, but these damn WI winters are COLD. I just got a new battery in it (a month or two ago), put some Heet in the gas tank last time I filled up (yesterday) and today it won't start at all.

It just sounds like it's not getting enough oomph to turn over, but it does crank, albeit very slowly.
Old 01-31-2004, 04:57 AM
VRGNCD5
cause it's tight!

My car wouldn't start again a couple weeks ago. It wouldn't even crank over. And yes, it was cold outside. I push started it and it's been fine ever since. I don't know what to do.
Old 01-31-2004, 09:32 AM
AcuraFanatic

My 1999 Accord LX 4-cylinder seems to start particularly slow in the cold weather. I don't know how slow is slow but it seems like this is almost a characteristic of the F-Series. :dunno:
Old 01-31-2004, 07:53 PM
lilteg01

Default cold weather

I only have trouble starting my car when im low on fule. I too have a 95 but i live in SOCal where a cold morning is like 65.