Notices

Offbeat, Non-Technical Inquiry; Anyone Ever Experience This?

Old 05-15-2003, 07:57 AM
DJ Scotty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Offbeat, Non-Technical Inquiry; Anyone Ever Experience This?

Sometimes when driving my 99 EX V-6 --- and I know that I have not been enjoying this car as a whole now that she has 40K on her but hear me out here --- the "ride" seems to get different from day to day; sometimes, she feels tight, heavy on her feet, buttoned down and just feels like a much heavier, larger coupe than she really is; perhaps something the size of one of the GM mid size coupes (Im not defending GM here, just making a comparison)....then there are some days when suddenly she feels much lighter when Im driving---the suspension seems floatier, the car feels "light" under my hands on the steering wheel, and the whole chassis begins to handle --- oh, how did someone on here once describe it --- like "an empty shopping cart"--- almost light and nimble feeling, like a Civic; as if you can just throw the whole car around....it is the only way to really describe it, true. But then hours later, or the next day, she feels heavy again, where the steering gets tight and the car feels buttoned down---I dont get it. It may just be my perception, but does anyone experience this with their sixth generation?
Old 05-15-2003, 08:10 AM
AcuraFanatic

Civics do not feel light and nimble stock, unless your daily driver is a Suburban. :eh:

Mine feels perfectly normal everyday, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Old 05-15-2003, 08:20 AM
DJ Scotty

Originally posted by AcuraFanatic
Civics do not feel light and nimble stock, unless your daily driver is a Suburban. :eh:

Mine feels perfectly normal everyday, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
They dont to you???? I dont understand how that can be....I have driven them and they feel like nimble little go-carts to me...everyone I know is in agreement on this one; especially the Civic Coupe---the drive is light and go cart-ish is the shared concensus; they feel "heavy" under your hand on the steering wheel? At any rate, I guess my car is behaving differently from yours...any explanation as to why a suspension can be perceived as "changing" from day to day in terms of feel? Or is this just 100 percent perception?
Old 05-15-2003, 08:24 AM
AcuraFanatic

Originally posted by DJ Scotty
They dont to you???? I dont understand how that can be....I have driven them and they feel like nimble little go-carts to me...everyone I know is in agreement on this one; especially the Civic Coupe---the drive is light and go cart-ish is the shared concensus; they feel "heavy" under your hand on the steering wheel? At any rate, I guess my car is behaving differently from yours...any explanation as to why a suspension can be perceived as "changing" from day to day in terms of feel? Or is this just 100 percent perception?
Civics may feel nimble because they only weigh a ton and a half or so. Drive an Integra...that feels 'nimble.'

The only possible thing I can see effecting the way your cars suspension behaves is the ambient temperature effecting the springs...but even that isn't that greatly noticeable.

It's probably all in your head.
Old 05-15-2003, 08:30 AM
DJ Scotty

Originally posted by AcuraFanatic
Civics may feel nimble because they only weigh a ton and a half or so. Drive an Integra...that feels 'nimble.'

The only possible thing I can see effecting the way your cars suspension behaves is the ambient temperature effecting the springs...but even that isn't that greatly noticeable.

It's probably all in your head.
Well, thats what Im saying....the Civic's weight makes it feel very light on its feet---perhaps you and I are sharing different definitions of nimble---I am sure an Integra feels just as "light"...and yes, its almost as if my springs are being affected by some kind of stimuli because the ride characteristics seem to change from day to day---its so weird....its almost like I have a trunk full of heavy cargo one day, and then suddenly someone took it all out of my trunk---and the car feels lighter...could this be a reason to take it into the dealer?
Old 05-15-2003, 08:32 AM
AcuraFanatic

Originally posted by DJ Scotty
Well, thats what Im saying....the Civic's weight makes it feel very light on its feet---perhaps you and I are sharing different definitions of nimble---I am sure an Integra feels just as "light"...and yes, its almost as if my springs are being affected by some kind of stimuli because the ride characteristics seem to change from day to day---its so weird....its almost like I have a trunk full of heavy cargo one day, and then suddenly someone took it all out of my trunk---and the car feels lighter...could this be a reason to take it into the dealer?
No.