Notices
Track & Autocross Talk lap times and race lines.

Need some help

Old 05-13-2003, 04:05 PM
BlackGSR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help

I'm going to an auto cross session on the 25th. And I was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers. Do you take a lap around the course to get familar with it before you start? Any advice or info would be appreciated. thanks
Old 05-13-2003, 05:04 PM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Are you going to the one at Glasgow HS? I might be going to that one since i see you are in Delaware.

NASA does a parade lap around the course to get you used to the course. SCCA does walk throughs.

Read the help page in my sig.
Old 05-13-2003, 07:01 PM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here in Colo., they give you about an hour to walk the course and try and get familiar with it. They also have a newbie session, where one of the event coordinators does a walk through and explains what you'll want to be thinking about in various parts of the course. Even after having autocrossed for a couple years, I still sometimes find it helpful to attend the newbie walk-throughs.

Of course, if its your first event, you wont remember anything they said once youre behind the wheel. So just look ahead on the course and don't get caught offguard by unanticipated turns. I find it helps to try and look about 100-300 feet ahead, and let your peripheral vision take care of the nearby cones and whatnot.

Another pointer that seems to help beginners.... as you round a cone in the apex of a turn or a slalom, think about trying to hit the cone with the inside rear corner of the car. The idea here is that you wont acutally hit it because of the car understeering a bit, but you'll be close enough that you follow a nice, tight line. Going wider than you need to (especially in a slalom) is your enemy.

That said, if its your first event, you're not going to blow anybody's socks off... Just have fun.:thumbup:

BTW: CivicSiRacer's autox help page is good stuff.
Old 05-14-2003, 12:38 PM
00R101

Check out http://www.tirerack.com/features/solo2/handbook.htm for the best novices guide to AX
Old 05-14-2003, 03:51 PM
BlackGSR

Yeah I'm going to Glasgow. I might see you there what kind of car do you drive? Is that a blue civic?
Old 05-14-2003, 04:49 PM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Yeppers The Super STS Blue Civic You know the blue adds like 50hp