Notices

Can I use my steering wheel remote?

Old 05-12-2003, 10:26 PM
uphat1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I use my steering wheel remote?

Hey, I have just installed a kenwood DPX-6020, a double din cd player in myt 2001 accord. I was wondering if any one knew if can use the facotory streering wheel remote that cam with the car to control my new deck. I know that I can go buy a remote from kenwood for $30, but its not the same. I want to use the i it came with looks nicer, and im use to using it.

I was about to go splicing wires and seeing what would happen but decided it would be smart to ask first.
Old 05-12-2003, 10:28 PM
AadosX

I doubt it will work.
Old 05-13-2003, 07:36 AM
kleankord

no. you can't.

actually if you go around splicing wires and it works i'll give you props. then come back and let us all know how it's done
Old 05-13-2003, 07:55 AM
AcsRcool
Faster than your Geo

nope, although that might be my senior design project for electrical engineering. . .probably going to use a headunit that has a remote and go infrared. . .
Old 05-13-2003, 03:54 PM
Cousin It

Actually you can if you buy a unit that converts the signal from your steering wheel controls into an IR siganl that the deck understands. When I installed my Alpine deck I also bought a converter made by Pacific Accessory Corporation (PAC). The model that works with Honda/Acura cars is the SWI-3. You just feed the converter a 12V switched power source and connect one wire into the factory wiring harness. The unit has a few feet of cable on the other end with an IR LED like any remote control. Once you have it installed you program the unit with the remote for your deck.
Old 05-13-2003, 03:59 PM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

Originally posted by Cousin It
Actually you can if you buy a unit that converts the signal from your steering wheel controls into an IR siganl that the deck understands. When I installed my Alpine deck I also bought a converter made by Pacific Accessory Corporation (PAC). The model that works with Honda/Acura cars is the SWI-3. You just feed the converter a 12V switched power source and connect one wire into the factory wiring harness. The unit has a few feet of cable on the other end with an IR LED like any remote control. Once you have it installed you program the unit with the remote for your deck.
exactly
Old 05-13-2003, 08:27 PM
uphat1

yeah, that is what I thought. I thought so, but was hopping for a miracle. That does not mean ill stop there. I will go for it and see what I can do with it, just because it will give me something to do and if it does not work oh will. And if I do get it to work, ill take pics and post it up.

I might even do ahead and buy the standard kenwood controller and steal the chip out of it and try to use it some how.