Notices

Help deciding Intake

Old 05-08-2003, 04:50 PM
Samson
chris is the devil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help deciding Intake

I have a 94 Accord.... and my stock air box screws are all stripped/broken except one. So the lid is basically loose. I dont know how good this is for the car, and my filter looks pretty dirty, even though it has about 10k miles on... so i was wondering what kind of intake i should get.

Now i gotta tell you... i removed my reasonator awhile ago, to see how it sounded and if i liked it... and it ended up being put back in because it was way too noisy, made my car vibrate from the noise, and it really just made my car feel even slower, since it got really loud, but still couldnt move.

So what should i do? Whats the quietest aftermarket intake system available? Regular, Short Ram, or Cold Air? Im really not looking for performance, because the amount an intake will give anyway is pretty much insignificant.

I was looking on ebay... at some AEM short rams that are running about $80 shipped. Is that a decent air intake?

thanks
sean
Old 05-08-2003, 04:54 PM
F23A4_AcCoRdude

All i can say is that if you're looking for quietness, you're best off buying a new stock intake from the dealer. Especially how you said you dont care about performance. Any aftermarket intakes regardless of cold air, short ram will sound a WHOLE LOT louder than your car with the stock resonator off. Intakes are made to increase performance (something you dont care about) and therefore do not emphasize on reducing engine noise. Any aftermarket intake will be a lot louder than ur stock resonator removed, so id suggest that you purchase a new stock intake components from the dealer. Hope that helps.
Old 05-08-2003, 05:00 PM
Samson
chris is the devil

well i was wondering... today i unhooked the stock intake up until where an intake would plug in, and drove around the block. It was loud. But will any of these intakes be less loud then that? Since theres a tube with filter?

I really dont want a stock intake. I hate how Honda designed the screw mechanisms... I dont care if its loud, but Its dumb when my dome light vibrates due to this.

My questions is... whats the *quietest* aftermarket intake?

thanks
Sean
Old 05-08-2003, 05:14 PM
JJJ784
No Soup For You!

i installed my aem cai this morning, and to my surprise, made my entire car idle smoother since i installed my apex ws. it's quiet IMO with my cai and catback. i guess my car is weird or maybe it's just being broken in.
Old 05-08-2003, 05:23 PM
Samson
chris is the devil

i also forgot to mention i dont have exhaust.
Old 05-08-2003, 06:10 PM
VRGNCD5
cause it's tight!

I say you just get a K&N filter, slap it on the end of the stock tubing and call it a day.
Old 05-08-2003, 06:13 PM
Samson
chris is the devil

Originally posted by VRGNCD5
I say you just get a K&N filter, slap it on the end of the stock tubing and call it a day.
without the stock box?
Old 05-08-2003, 06:25 PM
VRGNCD5
cause it's tight!

Originally posted by Samson
without the stock box?
yeah. it'll be a short ram w/stock piping so you keep the resonator that's built into it, keeps it quiet for ya.
Old 05-08-2003, 07:13 PM
H-Accord-22
Duh

Originally posted by Samson
well i was wondering... today i unhooked the stock intake up until where an intake would plug in, and drove around the block. It was loud. But will any of these intakes be less loud then that? Since theres a tube with filter?

I really dont want a stock intake. I hate how Honda designed the screw mechanisms... I dont care if its loud, but Its dumb when my dome light vibrates due to this.

My questions is... whats the *quietest* aftermarket intake?

thanks
Sean
Sean, tell me that I guess wrong but you did take off the resonator AND the FIlter? So it means that you drove with just a plain open pipe? If that's the case, then it's no wonder that your intake sounded so loud, it'll be WAY louder than an aftermarket intake.

The quietest aftermarket intake would be the one with smaller piping and in CAI form. Some manufacturers make different kinds of intakes to fit personal needs, in which some are CARB. and Emmission legalized Intakes which are quieter in a sport look. Check out OBX website for diff. explainations on the intakes, I do not have a link, but google should be able to find them for you.
Old 05-08-2003, 08:55 PM
Samson
chris is the devil

Originally posted by PoohBoi
Sean, tell me that I guess wrong but you did take off the resonator AND the FIlter? So it means that you drove with just a plain open pipe? If that's the case, then it's no wonder that your intake sounded so loud, it'll be WAY louder than an aftermarket intake.

The quietest aftermarket intake would be the one with smaller piping and in CAI form. Some manufacturers make different kinds of intakes to fit personal needs, in which some are CARB. and Emmission legalized Intakes which are quieter in a sport look. Check out OBX website for diff. explainations on the intakes, I do not have a link, but google should be able to find them for you.
i just unscrewed my air filter top... and pulled it out of the pipe... so i assume the other reasonator in the OEM pipe was still being used?