Notices

2004 Solara vs. 2003 Accord

Old 05-07-2003, 07:46 AM
DJ Scotty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Solara vs. 2003 Accord

After viewing the 04 Toyota Solara at the NY International Auto Show, I gotta say this car is pretty sexy....resembles, quite obviously, the Lexus SC400, with the same orange/red tail light scheme...and it looks damn good with the new 17's on the SLE model.....but being the Accord two door is the Solara's obvious target (and has been since its inception), it seems that the Accord does not have the upper hand because the new 7th gen has been given street presence a model year earlier than the Solara, and I have to say, the Solara looks much better than this seventh gen Accord....any thoughts from those of you who have seen the new Solara? Agree? Disagree? If I was in the market for another two door vehicle, and if I WAS to consider import again, Solara would make my list right now....
Old 05-07-2003, 07:53 AM
joshk03

Well, seeing how i'm currently in the market for a two door vehicle, it certainly makes things a bit more interesting. The accord is on the top of my list. But before the 7th gen. the Solara was. The only problem now is waiting until the release of the solara. Not sure i can wait long enough for its consumer debut.
Old 05-07-2003, 08:01 AM
DJ Scotty

Originally posted by joshk03
Well, seeing how i'm currently in the market for a two door vehicle, it certainly makes things a bit more interesting. The accord is on the top of my list. But before the 7th gen. the Solara was. The only problem now is waiting until the release of the solara. Not sure i can wait long enough for its consumer debut.
Josh,

I hear ya...I gotta tell ya, when the Solara first debuted, I wanted one....I thought this was an obvious Lexus SC400 coupe little cousin....with its long, sleek lines ....and it was, really. I wound up going with an Accord Coupe because after sitting in the Solara, it didnt really feel like, well, "me"....it felt more like a much older person's vehicle, especially in the cream colored interior scheme.

BUT this new one....wow....this car is hot, man....I saw it at the Auto Show in the red color, and it was stunning.....looks nicer than Pontiac's new GTO----and thats something I would usually NEVER say about an American car vs. domestic; the Solara really is sick looking. Check it out on Toyota's Web site when you get a chance, or drop by a dealer for a brochure.

Im telling you, this Solara blows the new Accord away in terms of dramatic, sexy styling....it makes the Accord look small, wimpy, ineffective on the road....especially in red; wow, this thing was nice, Im telling you. Consider waiting for the Solara to hit the streets.....it's a totally different vehicle from the first generation one, and like I said, makes other coupes like Pontiac's GTO look boring in comparison, believe it or not.....
Old 05-07-2003, 08:09 AM
BlackChrome
E46/CD5

Performance-wise, the Accord V6 (especially with the 6-speed) will kick the Solara's ass (but you can get a TRD supercharger with the Solara). Plus, I am sure the Accord would handle a little better.

Looks-wise, I am not sure. I am not a big fan of the new Accord but I certainly don't like the look of the Solara (at least not used to it yet). But I think the Solara looks a little better than the Honda Cougar, um, I mean Accord.

DJ, I thought you don't want a Coupe/2-door?
Old 05-07-2003, 08:11 AM
Samson
chris is the devil

I agree. I think the new solara looks better than the accord for sure exterior wise. The interiors are about the same, depending on what appeals to one more. The only real downside i could see with one choosing the solara over the accord.... is the solara isnt available with the 6sp tranny. The Solara sport model is suppose to handle better... so can't comment on how it corners etc... but a few reviews on the new solara havent been too shabby.

Overall... i feel both these vehicles would be good choices.
Old 05-07-2003, 08:12 AM
moofoo
Tastes like DonkeyBalls

for more opinions on this thing...

https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/s...=toyota+solara
Old 05-07-2003, 08:14 AM
DJ Scotty

Originally posted by BlackChrome
Performance-wise, the Accord V6 (especially with the 6-speed) will kick the Solara's ass (but you can get a TRD supercharger with the Solara). Plus, I am sure the Accord would handle a little better.

Looks-wise, I am not sure. I am not a big fan of the new Accord but I certainly don't like the look of the Solara (at least not used to it yet). But I think the Solara looks a little better than the Honda Cougar, um, I mean Accord.

DJ, I thought you don't want a Coupe/2-door?
Thanks for the pic, Black....

I AM NOT in the market for a 2 door, I was telling him that IF I WERE in the market for an import 2 door, Solara would be my first choice right now...sorry if that wasnt clear. I was just saying the Solara looked AWESOME to me at the car show---and still does in this pic u provided; I AM in the market for a four door sedan for the next vehicle, yes.

Well, your opinion is certainly valid, but I have to agree that the Accord is way too Cougar-like in appearance and it is my opinion that the Solara makes the Honda Cougar appear small, wimpy, irrelevant on the road....this Solara is a big, long, dramatic coupe---the way it should be. Performance wise, you are probably right; the Accord will probably beat the Solara's ass with the manual. I wonder if a TRD body kit package is gonna come out for the Solara for 2004; that body kit OEM style for the 03 Accord Coupe looks like ass compared to my 99's body kit, I gotta tell ya....
Old 05-07-2003, 08:25 AM
DJ Scotty

Wow, sorry guys....didnt realize there was already a topic started on the new Solara with everyone's opinions....my bad...we can drop this now because it seems everyone voiced their opinions on the Accord vs. Solara already; again, my bad....just thought I would say the Solara would be, for me, a first choice for a two door vehicle if I were in the market----probably next to the Monte Carlo SS w/ground effect package---but Im in the market for a four door next time around.....
Old 05-07-2003, 08:25 AM
AcuraFanatic

The Camry would offer less sporting aspirations, and you can't get the V-6 Solara with a manual transmission.

I personally like the Accord's styling better (interior especially) over the frumpy Solara.
Old 05-07-2003, 08:32 AM
DJ Scotty

Originally posted by AcuraFanatic
The Camry would offer less sporting aspirations, and you can't get the V-6 Solara with a manual transmission.

I personally like the Accord's styling better (interior especially) over the frumpy Solara.
Fanatic,

You really think the Solara is "frumpy" and the new Accord two door isnt? I see many two door Accords on the roads now, and even with that rear spoiler, the car looks so....ehhhh....I dont know...."insignificant" if you know what I mean; no dramatic presence is given off when you are next to this car, IMO....looks so boring....I think the RSX has more style, to be honest.