Notices

Intakes have 3 sounds, one of them sucks!

Old 05-06-2003, 01:54 PM
Dr. Reef

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intakes have 3 sounds, one of them sucks!

Please read my whole post. I'm posting this out of frustration. I've read thru the archives and here is my take on aftermarket intakes.

Regardless of the brand, and whether it is short RAM or CAI, I've noticed an annoying whistle. What follows is a description of the sound, and a description of other sounds that should not be confused with the whistle. I've found them to exist on all three different intakes I've had on my 4 cyl 1999 coupe.

1) The whistle. My whistle engages at about 3000 to 4300 RPM in third, fourth, and fifth gear under light acceleration, or while maintaining steady speed but going up hill. The sound dissappears under hard accelleration. It sounds like a whistle and sort of changes pitch. Revving the engine in neutral produces no sound, and wide open throttle does not produce the sound. I am concerned that it might be a leaky head gasket or chirpy engine mount. Both of which will be expensive to have fixed because they involve removal of all or part of the engine.

2) The whoosh sound. This is the sound of the air rushing thru the intake. It is most notable in garages, parking decks, or when standing next to the intake outside of the vehicle. Also most notable at idle. It is not a whistle, but rather just the sound of air being sucked and whooshed in.

3) The roar. The roar is the sound the intake makes under hard accelleration. Usually only does this in gear, and is more the sound of the engine being loud without the OEM stock resonator in place, and not neccessarily the intake itself.

So guys, do you guys know what I'm talking about regarding the whistle? Do you have it? Are you sure you are not confusing it with a squeaking and loose intake that rubs the engine bay? The whistle I am concerned about is specifically a whistle sound.

I took my car to the dealer while under warranty and the mechanics tossed my concerns aside saying it only happens with aftermarket intakes. Were they saying that simply because it was under warranty and they didn't want to pay to investigate any potential leaks in seals and gaskets?

I ask because I've ridden in a Maxima, and Eclipse, and a Ford Thunderbird with aftermarket intakes and none of them made this whistle sound.

Thank you for reading and thanks for any responses.

-Brian
Old 05-06-2003, 02:11 PM
e3NiNe
#CustomUserTitle

them whistles go woo woo

sorry dood ... i only get the roar.
Old 05-06-2003, 02:26 PM
peiqinglong

Perhaps you have headers? Maybe you have a gasket leak? Are you sure it's intake related.
Old 05-06-2003, 02:43 PM
accord_vti

No worries, I have the whistle noise too and so do most of my friends with aftermarket intakes. I just live with it and it doesn't really bother me, but yes I do notice it.
Old 05-06-2003, 03:17 PM
slpycd7
H22 fo lyfe!

I get 2 and 3 with my AEM CAI, it sounds almost like a turbo when you tap the gas, and when you're on the gas, its like vrooooooooooom loud enough to be heard . AccordCutie/Angie gets the whistle with her AEM SRI. the whistle isn't bad if you have the stereo up a bit.... its tolerable
Old 05-06-2003, 03:18 PM
6thgenaccord1

its completely normal, my old aem made that sound as do most hondas with intake.
Old 05-06-2003, 03:47 PM
Dr. Reef

I think it only occurs on Honda cars at this point. I saw someone in the Civic forum mention it, but I don't hear much from other Civic owners.

I think I have figured out what the cause of the problem is, and it seems pretty obvious now.

When you remove the quieting OEM resonator, and remove the restrictin of air into the engine, the throttle body whistles because more air is able to move past it. It's like holding a blade of grass between your thumbs and blowing gently to make a whistle. If you blow very hard on the blade, it doesn't make the sound. The same is true of the throttle body. As the flap slides open to allow air in, it looks and acts like a blade of grass between your thumbs. With just the right amount of air going past it, it begins to whislte. This is why you can change the pitch by pressing harder on the gas or by letting up on it. However, when the engine is under high revving or wide open conditions, the position of the throttle flap is such that it is completely sideways and too much air is going in to cause the whistle.

Neat, but irritating.
Old 05-06-2003, 03:48 PM
Dr. Reef

Here is a picture of the throttle body with the flap shut, ie, engine off position.

Old 05-06-2003, 03:51 PM
Dr. Reef

Here is the throttle body wide open.

Somewhere in bewtween is where the culprit to our whistling intake lies.

Old 05-06-2003, 03:52 PM
d21x
Ownz JOO

WHO CARES!!!! its just an intake!!!