Notices

Timing belt?

Old 05-06-2003, 05:43 AM
meddle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing belt?

My '94 Accord started to have a rough idle a couple days ago. It didnt really sound like it was about to stall, it just wasnt as quiet and smooth running as usual. So, I leave work yesterday afternoon and head over to the mechanic to get it checked out. Im a mile from the mechanic when my car starts to really act strangely. Check engine light came on. It wouldnt take any acceleration and the idle was getting really choppy. 100 yards later she stalled and wouldnt start back up. When I would turn the ignition it would turn start to turn over, but even giving it some extra gas couldnt keep it running.

120k miles and never had the timing belt replaced......is that what it is? Ive got it at the Honda dealership right now being checked out, so I will know pretty soon what the problem is. This is my question though.

Ive heard people say that if your timing belt breaks it can really mess things up inside your engine. It can bend valves, hit pistons, etc. Is this a scam? I was stuck driving my moms car since mine was dead and she had the radio on NPR. 'Click and Clack' were on and someone actually asked about this. They said that a timing belt would never mess anything up, and that when it breaks the car just stops running like mine did, no damage done.

So whats the truth? I refuse to get scammed by my dealership!

Please only respond if you really know what you are talking about. I dont need anymore of 'well ive heard that this can happen' or 'I think that timing belts....' .

Thanks a lot and sorry for the long post
Richard
Old 05-06-2003, 06:32 AM
Vampgrrl
Farscape 1 pilot

Yes if your timing belt goes, it *could* totally **** up your car. It may not..but for something that's only a few hundred to get replaced (or less) is it worth risking your car? Waiting til 120k and no replacement is NOT smart. Replace it now and dont be a cheapskate...or risk having no car at all anymore.
Old 05-06-2003, 06:59 AM
meddle

Its really not about being a 'cheapskate'. Im a poor college student, and there are a lot of things that take priority over a timing belt.
Old 05-06-2003, 07:05 AM
Vampgrrl
Farscape 1 pilot

I'll say it one more time...replace it or risk having no car at all. Being THAT cheap is not good, timing belt breaking can really seriously screw up your engine.
THink of it as replacing tires..you would no more drive on totally bald tires with a collasping sidewall than you should continue to drive your car without changing the timing belt.
Old 05-06-2003, 08:48 AM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Most Honda engines have interference between piston & valves. So if the belt breaks, the piston comes up & smacks the valves. Then you get to pay WAY more than a couple hundred bucks.

Interference designs are one way Honda can get higher compression ratios & more power... Not all engines are like this, but Click&Clack should have known. Or maybe they were answering for that particular make of car? It's not only Hondas that are like this.
Old 05-06-2003, 08:53 AM
cooliojones

Al lot of times people need personal experiences rather than theory or hearsay. Well lemme tell you that this can indeed happen because it happened to me a couple of years back. I was driving normally, and then all of the sudden I heard a snap-like sound, followed by all of the power going out in the car and I couldn't start it back up. Of course when it happened the first thing I thought about was "timing belt." And sure enough that's what it was, said it bent some valves and stuff and that I would need a new engine. $2500. Miles over my extended warranty. Hope that is not you, my friend, but if it is then you can use it as an excuse to upgrade to a better engine! Start taking donations now...
Old 05-06-2003, 10:58 AM
OffDuty

Agreed.. There is no way to know or easily tell when replaced. Cough up the 500.00 for new belt & water pump (good idea) or be out >$2-2500.00 for a new engine when the belt breaks.
Preventative maintenance saves, esp. on engines that are not freewheel-ing designed when the belt breaks..
Old 05-06-2003, 04:22 PM
meddle

...and I will say it one more time. I am in college, im broke, and I am weeks away from selling this car. Why would I throw ANY amount of money at it?

As it turns out, it was not the timing belt. They are still trying to figure out what it is exactly thats causing the rough idle and refusal to start sometimes. It may be something as simple as needing new spark plugs. The cam gears are loose and that may have damaged the cam shaft, but ill just get rid of the old Honda for like $2000 and be done with it.

This just gives me more incentive to find that '92 - '95, Lexus SC300, 5spd!! Then I get to save up for the 3.0 MKIV Supra TT engine swap....mmmm....450whp and luxury.
Old 05-06-2003, 06:49 PM
Kingseth2

Originally posted by meddle

This just gives me more incentive to find that '92 - '95, Lexus SC300, 5spd!! Then I get to save up for the 3.0 MKIV Supra TT engine swap....mmmm....450whp and luxury.
:hitit:
Old 06-22-2003, 04:56 PM
jkjk

Default Timing belt?

This response is probably too late for meddle's question, but for the archive, meddle asked for a response from someone who know about timing belts. 1992 Accord, 166k, belt replaced at 90k, next replacement recommended by Honda at 180k

Belt broke. The head is now at NAPA getting the valves redone (for $213) . Fortunately, I can do the assembly and disassembly myself. I looked at the service manuals - the head job is $1200, the belt at $450. I'd have to junk the car.

The belt had cracks throughout. When I bought another belt at Honda, the parts guy chucked when I said that the Honda recommendation is every 90k. He said, "after 60k, you're taking a chance." He sells the belts to the parts dept, so he should know.

Just a comment - this is the first time I worked on a Honda. They should sell a pair of tweezers with the car. What a pain. I also think it's really irresponsible to put this engine out with the possibility of excessive damage riding on a belt. How stupid!